The Lwala Community Alliance (LCA) is a local civil society organization delivering programs in healthcare, education, and economic development in rural Migori County. The mission of the organization is to build the capacity of the people of the area to advance their own comprehensive well-being. The core values of LCA include flexibility, integrity, neighborliness, determination and dignity. In the last 8 years, the young organization has experienced rapid growth in programs, funding,
and public platform. Most notably, the Lwala Community Hospital has tripled in size and now serves more than 2,500 patients a month; the Kenyan team has grown from 7 to 140; and the education program is reaching out to 13 schools in the region. The organization has received recognition through the Clinton Global Initiative, Apple, Citizen TV, ABC World News, CNN, and the film Sons of Lwala, which documents the program founding. For more organizational information please visit: www.lwalacommunityalliance.org.
The organization is seeking to employ a qualified, experienced and motivated Project Officer to ensure that LCA delivers effective and quality education programs that promote school completion and learning outcomes in the target community.
Education Project Officer Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of LCA’s strategic plans and business plans.
- Facilitate implementation and periodic review of operations plans and budgets for education program.
- Facilitate implementation and support periodic review of policies and standard operating procedures (SoPPs) for the Unit.
- Manage financial and material resources allocated to education program.
Management and Implementation of Education Program
- Facilitate and ensure effective implementation of education projects such as girls’ empowerment, sponsorship, school health clubs, E-Reader and others that may come up from time to time.
- Facilitate school and community dialogues that lead to human centred design, development, planning, implementation and review of education projects.
- Initiate and support initiatives and special projects that promote holistic development and learning by children as envisioned in education program outcomes and results.
- Directly oversee activities in the community by visiting program sites, participating in trainings, evaluating staff trainers, and performing the role of trainer as necessary.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Track activities and expenditures and provide periodic input to management on performance against established benchmarks.
- Submit financial reports for the Unit to the Community Programs Director and/or Finance Manager within established timelines.
- Submit to management reports and scorecard for education unit in line with established guidelines, procedures and protocols.
Quality Control and Assurance
- Maintain quality standards established for implementation of program initiatives.
- Report matters that need respective attention/information/action of the Director of Community Programs and/or the Kenya Leadership team in a timely manner.
Monitoring and Learning
- Support monitoring and evaluation initiatives and activities including submission of monthly scorecards and quarterly reports.
- Maintain and use strong monitoring systems to track and report on activities and results realized in the implementation of education programs.
- Periodically review performance metrics with the M&E team and employ use of data for decision making that promote high quality delivery of education programs.
- Support in documentation and dissemination of appropriate case studies, experiences, best practice and lessons.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with education stakeholders to promote education program initiatives.
- Maintain partner relationships and participate in relevant forums where nominated by LCA such as government, community and other stakeholder forums.
- Maintain and nurture productive relationships with donors, partners and other stakeholders that engage with LCA’s program initiatives.
- Provide effective supervision and mentorship of staff in the unit and promote teamwork both within the unit and the wider organization.
- At least a Diploma in Social Work. A Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Science or related field is desirable.
- Diploma in Project Planning and Management (preferably focusing on education sector/girl child empowerment) is an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of at least 2 years’ within communities in a similar setting.
- Knowledge of the education sector and education programs is desirable
Please submit your CV and a cover letter on or before 25th November 2017. Also include your salary expectations in your cover letter.