The eligibility list may also be used to identify candidate for other LE-06 positions (indeterminate, term or emergency) This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Kenya
Vacancy type: Term/Indeterminate/Emergency
Salary: Kes.2,392,847.00 gross per year
Closing date for applications: 05-08-2019 At midnight UTC+1 / GMT+1
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Property Officer, plans, organizes and implements a program for the preventative maintenance and ongoing repair/upgrades for High Commission properties (Chancery, Official Residence and Staff Quarters); manages and implements maintenance contracts and construction contracts for High Commission properties; drafts/prepares financial reports and Property-related documents and provides financial functions to the Property section; plans, organizes and implements Building Safety and Health program for CHC properties; and performs other duties.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.)
- Completion of secondary education AND a skilled trades qualification/vocational training
- Graduation from post-secondary education in civil, mechanical, electrical (or other) engineering domains
Proficiency in English – (reading, writing, comprehension and speaking)
- Recent* and extensive experience in real property management, building construction, property maintenance, or physical infrastructure management.
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience managing technical teams
* 'Recent and extensive experience” means 3 years’ experience within the past 5
- Knowledge of Kenyan building codes, construction norms and procedures, maintenance procedures and best practices
- Knowledge of business practices pertaining to the construction industry, including invoicing, accounts receivable and contracting for services
- Ability to organize people, materials and resources
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to work to short deadlines
- Ability to lead teams (especially technical teams)
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Client Focus
- Values and Ethics, professional integrity
- Focus on Quality and Details
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Qualification/certification in project management
- Completion of Business degree (Business or Commerce degree/certificate, MBA etc)
- Experience in real estate management/sales
- Work experience with a construction company or as a building contractor.
If candidates meet the factors listed in the asset qualifications they must clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their cover letter.
- Ability to work overtime
- Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Kenyan citizenship, holder of a valid Kenyan work permit or otherwise legally able to work at the High Commission (please note The High Commission of Canada in Nairobi does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly).
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a reliability rating (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period. This includes a criminal and credit background check.
Area of selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Kenya, eligible to work and located within the vicinity of Nairobi, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.