Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (Lewa), based in Isiolo Kenya, is an organization that works as a catalyst and a model for the conservation of wildlife and its habitat. We invite applications for the position of a Research Assistant.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor the status, structure and distribution of birdlife on Lewa in collaboration with partners and the Lewa research team;
- Work closely with Lewa Tour guides to update and manage birdlife data using the BirdLasser app;
- Service and manage the wildlife corridors camera traps data;
- Coordinate collection and uploading of hydrological and meteorological data, including rainfall, temperature, and from water monitoring installations in the Lewa-Borana landscape;
- Training users in the field on use of personal digital assistants (PDAs), collect and manage data from these devices;
- Maintain updated databases for each of the above data collection activities;
- Prepare and maintain relevant datasets for use with GIS;
- Prepare timely reports as per the schedule of the Research Department; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The job holder must possess:
- Minimum of Diploma in Natural Resource Management course or a related field;
- 2 years’ experience in wildlife monitoring techniques;
- Computer literate;
- Good communication and writing skills;
- Must be fluent in English;
- Bush craft skills;
- Valid driving license
- Qualified and experienced female candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in joining a team of hardworking staff, please send your resume and application letter to the address below indicating your current gross pay and salary expectation for this position. Provide your daytime telephone contact and contacts of three professional referees.
NB: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED