The intern will be expected to work with members of the Horizon staff to assist with research activities, communications and to perform general administrative duties.
Period: 3-6 months with the possibility of an extension
Start Date: 15 October 2019 (or sooner)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application Deadline: Thursday, 31st October 2019 (Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.)
About Horizon Institute
Horizon Institute is an NGO, based in Hargeisa, Somaliland and Nairobi, Kenya.
Horizon assists government, private sector and not-for-profit institutions to create and take advantage of development and capacity building opportunities by applying a collaborative approach that brings together national and international expertise. Our work lies at the intersection of human rights, institution building and locally driven development. We are also dedicated to ensuring that local knowledge and opinions take precedent in the design and implementation of the international development assistance programs we manage. We believe that leveraging local knowledge and prioritising human rights and the rule of law is key to strengthening governments and institutions, and moving communities from fragility to stability.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The intern will be expected to:
- Support the research team in research assignments including desk research, data/information collection and data entry and analysis;
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to promote the dissemination of reports and documents produced from the research;
- Organize and provide professional support to consultants and working groups involved in the implementation of work plans;
- Contribute to the work of the communications team by helping with social media post designs and campaigns, drafting content for visibility and branding items such as posters, flyers and brochures, facilitating advocacy campaigns and monitoring the outcomes;
- Help the administration team in the day to day office management and administrative activities;
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and ventures for the improvement of Horizon’s work.
- Completed or working towards a degree in Law, English, Mass Communication, Marketing, Public Relations or any related field;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Good research and planning/organizational skills;
- Highly creative;
- Capacity to work collaboratively;
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, work independently and meet deadlines;
- Proficiency in computer skills;
- Attention to detail.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit an application with the subject heading “Research & Communications Assistant” by 31st October 2019, enclosing a one-page cover letter and a CV.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.