A restaurant hostess is responsible for greeting customers and seating them at an appropriate table before they are introduced to their server. The job description of a restaurant hostess requires excellent interpersonal skills, a friendly demeanor, and the ability to interpret and manage different servers’ sections on the restaurant floor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Restaurant Hostess
- Takes reservations for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Plans and organizes reservations on restaurant seating chart.
- Greets guests as they enter the restaurant.
- Seats guests in an open section or at a reserved table.
- Provides guests with menus and ensures they are seated comfortably.
- Assigns guests evenly across different servers’ sections in the restaurant.
- Maintains restaurant’s seating chart throughout the shift.
- Adds guests’ names to wait-lists as necessary.
- Takes drink orders for guests as they wait, or directs them to the bar area as necessary.
- Notifies guests when a table is ready.
- Keeps the hostess station neat and organized.
- Assists in rearranging tables for large parties.
- Reports any problems or issues to restaurant manager.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Assists in setting up and cleaning up the restaurant during opening and closing shifts, respectively.
- Addresses and resolves customer concerns and complaints.
- Reorganizes seating chart in the event that a server calls in sick.
- Keeps in contact with servers to make sure the seating chart is properly balanced.
- Thanks guests for dining at the restaurant when they leave.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and customer services skills.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills.
- Maintains professional but friendly demeanor.
- Is capable of remaining patient and polite when speaking to frustrated guests.
- Demonstrates ability to read and interpret restaurant’s seating chart.
- Works well with a team.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Possesses stamina required to remain walking and/or standing for an entire shift.
- Demonstrates strong problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience
- Restaurant hostesses typically hold a high school diploma or Advanced certificate of service from KUC. Previous experience on similar role will be an added advantage.
Salary: Kes. 25,000 Gross.