ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
At One Acre Fund, we believe that linking our farmers to markets is one of the most important actions we can take to unlock profitability for our clients, promote the use of good agricultural practices and create employment within the value chain in general. For this, we are looking to recruit agricultural/business professionals to develop new market access programs for our clients across different crops including fruits and livestock.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing market access interventions or models for different agricultural products (Crop and Livestock)
- Conduct background studies, operational and financial estimates, and create an impact model for the proposed intervention
- Engage with different teams (internally at One Acre Fund and external organizations) to create a final product which can be tested in a pilot project
- Design trials to test the new models, analyze trial data, and report findings through memos and presentations. The goal is simple and scalable models that address real needs for hundreds of thousands of smallholder farmers and make the economics work for all parties- smallholders, OAF, agribusinesses
- Integrate new models and programs into our other channels (Core, Retail, Partnerships)
- Collaborate across all our departments to integrate the most promising market access services and training into our field program.
- Design Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and ensure targets are met, such as amount crops collected and quality
- External partner relationships
- Initiate and manage collaborative projects with external partners, which includes drafting MoUs, periodic reporting and ensuring OAF policies are followed in all communication and results sharing, and most importantly delivering results
- Team Administration and performance management
- Help create the annual division budget
- Monitor expenditure and implement efficiency strategies
- Support capacity development of direct report(s)
- Conduct periodic performance reviews
- May directly or indirectly manage staff and stakeholders involved in initiatives and the activities of the field staff involved in the market access initiatives
- Focus on what customers (i.e. smallholder farmers) want and need
- Ensure farmers have excellent experience selling grains and product is impactful
- Run focus groups and market research
- Work with our MNE Team to ensure that the programs you design are leading to increased profit for farmers
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for a business or agribusiness professional with +2 years of work experience and a passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Knowledge of the challenges inherent in agriculture value chains in developing world contexts, and a passion for addressing them.
- Project management skills and the ability to create and stick to timelines.
- Bachelors degree in agriculture, agribusiness, business, economics, international trade, and development or a related field a plus.
- Leadership experience, enthusiasm for team development and personal growth.
- Understanding of program evaluation strongly preferred, demonstrated ability to use data for decision-making required, understanding of basic statistics also required.
- Passion for team building and collaboration with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and through multiple media including remote work.
- Stata, R or another statistical package preferred, QGIS or other mapping software useful.
- Written and oral English required, knowledge of French, Kinyarwanda or Swahili very useful.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Frequent travel to the field, based in Rubengera or Kigali
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes; Rwandan and African nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.