ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are looking for an operations manager with in-depth experience in process design, health and safety, and optimizing processes for efficiency.
Rwanda will reduce and eliminate seed imports soon and is, therefore, investing in domestic seed production. One Acre Fund is excited to scale domestic hybrid maize processing. Our facility will bring hybrid seed to over a million farmers and create tens of millions of dollars of impact by increased harvest for farm households.
The operations manager will bring a wealth of expertise in process efficiency optimization and safety assurance to bring our operation to international standards. You will achieve our growth targets, at speed, to provide even more high-quality seed for Rwandan farmers.
Reporting to the Seed Department Manager you will manage :
Plant and Worker Safety
- Ensure our plant is safe to operate, introducing international standards of health, safety, and environment controls
- Start a dedicated manufacturing data management system with full visibility of process inputs and outputs
- Implement tight controls on inventory management ensuring no losses
Finances and Forecasting
- Manage monthly approval of seed processing Budget Vs Actual (BVA) spending
- Perform monthly cash flow forecasts
Process Efficiency & Optimization
- Reduce per Kg cost of processing whilst maintaining the highest standards of seed quality
- Increase plant throughput while ensuring safety, quality, and cost-effectiveness
Future proof our operations
- Ensure machine and infrastructure are fit for scale
- Support strategy development for successful processing capacity increase
Oversight of the processing team
- Manage the seed processing specialist and seed quality control, teams
- Ensure sustainable working hours, pleasant working culture and safety of our processing team
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
This is a career-track role. We are looking for extraordinary professionals who will take One Acre Fund to the next levels of impact and scale. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business, Engineering or Science. Related masters degree is desirable (e.g. Operations Management, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing/Industrial Engineering, Process Engineering, etc.).
Minimum 4 years of work experience in:
- Managing large/complex operations or processing facilities
- Health and Safety protocol enforcement
- Design and optimization of physical manufacturing processes
- Data and budget management
- Analyze, summarize and communicate data. Excel skills particularly an asset (can maintain complex spreadsheets with advanced functions)
- Manage a complex and demanding workload and still achieve excellent results
- Leadership experience. Examples include startup experience or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. starting a program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business).
- Fluency English is necessary, Kinyarwanda is a plus
- Microsoft and Google Applications
Humility and Responsiveness to Feedback:
- Give and receive direct feedback
- Use feedback as a constructive tool to grow and improve professionally
- Bring humility into all aspects of work and interactions with colleague
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes: East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.