Reuters Video News is looking for an experienced editor and visual journalist to run our Africa Daily service.
We want a strong team leader who is also a great team player. She or He will be an accomplished news editor and storyteller with plenty of initiative and original ideas.
The Senior Producer role for Africa Daily presents an exciting opportunity to bring stories from the world’s fastest growing continent to a wider audience. The successful candidate will have good insight and understanding of the news agenda in Africa in its widest sense – from politics to sport to entertainment, culture and new business.
The video news industry is going through a period of significant change, driven by the rapidly changing habits of news consumers and ever-changing technology. We need someone who will be customer focused, able to tailor content for Reuters clients in the growing digital sector as well as existing broadcast news customers.
Reuters Africa Daily in its present form delivers up to 20 stories per week from the continent. The segment provides the core content for Reuters Africa Journal, a new service that is produced in London and delivers ready to publish video stories from and about Africa to digital and broadcast news publishers.
The Senior Producer role is collaborative, and you will be expected to work with Reuters newsgathering teams in Africa and producers working on Africa Journal based in London. You will be a good communicator, capable of guiding and mentoring colleagues and other contributors.
Essential Day-to-Day responsibilities
- Plan, pitch and assign stories for Africa Daily. Meet tight deadlines and take an active role on news planning.
- Edit and produce video stories for Africa Daily.
- Coordinate multimedia coverage with newsgathering teams in Africa and the Reuters Africa Journal desk in London.
- Ensure Africa Daily content is relevant for digital and broadcast markets.
- Strong news editing skills. Ability to pitch original story ideas that add value.
- Strong video editing and script writing skills. Sharp eye for visual elements that are needed to make a good video story.
- Strong communication and mentoring skills.
- Strong English language skills. Working knowledge of other languages would be an advantage.
- Thorough understanding of the latest video technologies for filming, editing, transmitting and sharing.
- Experience and understanding of reporting from hostile environments would be an advantage.
- University degree level education or equivalent would be desirable.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.