Senior Qualitative Expert, USAID/Somalia Monitoring, Verification and Reporting project, Nairobi, Kenya
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
USAID/Kenya and East Africa intends to award a five-year, single holder IDIQ to provide monitoring, verification and reporting (MV&R) services for USAID’s portfolio of activities in Somalia. The data will report on challenges, successes and changing development priorities in Somalia, enabling USAID to adjust its strategy accordingly.
**Please note: Only Somalian and Kenyan citizens are eligible for this position**
The Senior Qualitative Expert will manage the development, collection, analysis and presentation of qualitative information. S/he will ensure qualitative data collection and analysis is a significant part of the MV&R process. S/he may conduct ad hoc site visits or plan for and conduct ad hoc qualitative research by USAID. This position will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to Somalia to interact with beneficiaries through key informant interviews and focus groups discussions. Somali language proficiency required.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight in drafting the qualitative sections of the MV&R reports for each round.
- Develop (in consultation with USAID) tools and protocols to capture relevant qualitative data, which will yield rich qualitative information across each activity.
- Orient USAID staff/field staff/subcontractors on the new/revised qualitative data collection tools, and protocols.
- Review, analyze, and synthesize qualitative data to ensure logical inferences and conclusions are drawn from the findings.
- Triangulate MV&R findings with routine program and evaluation data to provide further insight into program effectiveness and identify opportunities for learning.
- Generate and disseminate synthesized reports and presentations that are tailored to the intended audience.
- At least five years of overseas experience in international development conducting qualitative research.
- Prior experience in a high threat environment. Understanding of Somali culture and operating environment required.
- A bachelor’s degree in the field of evaluation, international development or a related technical field.
- Technical proficiency in at least one of the following fields: democracy and governance, economic growth, education, and stabilization.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including an ability to synthesize and explain complex information to stakeholders.
- Excellent English writing skills and speaking ability. Somali language proficiency required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.