Primary Location: Kilimani or Westlands
Employee Status: Casual
Reports into: Lead Server
The right Server uplifts the dining experience for customers. We are looking for someone who will have the patience, personality and perseverance to thrive in this role.
Server responsibilities include greeting and serving customers, providing detailed information on menus, multi-tasking various front-of-the-house duties and collecting the bill. If you are able to perform well in fast-paced environments, we’d like to meet you. To be a successful Server, you should be polite with our customers and make sure they enjoy their meals. You should also be a team player and be able to effectively communicate with our Kitchen Staff to make sure orders are accurate and delivered promptly.
Keep in mind that Servers duties may require working in shifts on weekdays, weekends and holidays.
Ultimately, it is the duty of our Server to provide an excellent overall dining experience for our guests.
Company Overview: Mama Rocks is a gourmet burger restaurant founded in 2016 specialising in African influenced burgers, sides and drinks.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Report for duty punctually, in the correct uniform, clean and neatly pressed with your name-tag clearly visible.
- Greet and escort customers to their tables
- Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients or potential food allergies)
- Prepare tables so that they are clear or rubbish and are clean and presentable
- Inform customers about the day’s specials
- Offer menu recommendations upon request
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate
- Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software, order slips or by memorization
- Operate the till when scheduled to do so
- Check customers’ IDs to ensure they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
- Serve food and drink orders
- Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
- Arrange table settings and maintain a tidy dining area
- Deliver cheques and collect bill payments
- Carry dirty plates, glasses and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
- Follow all relevant health department regulations
- Provide excellent customer service to guests
- Preparing alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages for bar and patrons
- Interacting with customers, taking orders and serving snacks and drinks
- Assessing bar customers’ needs and preferences and making recommendations
- Proven work experience as a Waiter or Waitress
- Hands-on experience with cash register and ordering information system
- Basic math skills
- Attentiveness and patience for customers
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Active listening and effective communication skills
- Team spirit
- Flexibility to work in shifts
- Positive attitude and excellent communication skills
- Ability to keep the bar organized, stocked and clean
- Excellent talent to interact with people in a positive and courteous manner
- Able to up sell on products
- Dependable, punctual and able to work flexible working hours
- Self-Motivated with good energy levels
- Being able to be on your feet for long periods of time.
ABOUT MAMA ROCKS BURGER KITCHEN
In January 2016 Mama Rocks brought the African Style Gourmet Burger to the vibrant city of Nairobi, via our food truck based in The Yard, Westlands. Catering to Nairobi’s growing young middle-class professionals we are Africa’s answer to Hard Rock Café with the same emphasis on strong merchandising, branding and broad appeal. Mama Rocks is still in it's early days but has the potential to be a truly global African brand.
African food is some of the tastiest in the world but on the whole underrepresented in the culinary scene. Mama Rocks is on a mission to change that. Mama Rocks Burgers fuses the premium Western Style burger with the distinct flavour influences of the four corners of Africa - a one of a kind and winning amalgamation. Each burger has a catchy, memorable name to back up their unforgettable flavour.
Mama Rocks does not just offer the same dining experience offered in most casual dining restaurants; Instead, customers will find themselves overwhelmed by the friendly and engaging personalities and exciting music and art-based environment. From “door to door,” the Mama Rock’s staff will take great care of customers in order to ensure they are satisfied and ensure that Mama Rocks is the place that our guests return to and recommend to their friends.
Our name pays homage the traditional African woman. Like Mama Rocks, she is the centre of the community. Inclusive, Mama Rocks will bring multicultural Nairobi together in one spot, a cultural culinary experience for indigenous and non-indigenous guests alike. By day: that place to go to catch up with friends, that unique venue to have that business meeting or for the soloist surfing the net. By night: the place to chill out with partners for that relaxed evening meal, the hub for African arts - nurturing the talent of musicians, comedians, providing emerging artists with a platform to exhibit their creations and the spot for Nairobi’s notable events calendar after parties.
The Mama Rocks concept celebrates ‘New Africa’. Just like the new generation of Africans Mama Rocks is urban, fearless and open to the world.