Teule Kenya (Teule meaning “Chosen”), is a non-governmental organization, registered in March 1996 under the NGOs Act. Teule Kenya works with orphaned and vulnerable children with a special focus on children on the streets or in homeless situations, orphans and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDs and Maasai girls rescued from FGM and child marriage in Kajiado County. Our work is geared towards helping them access their rights under the Kenya Children’s Act 2001 and the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child. Our operations are based in Kajiado County majorly in Oloitokitok, Kimana, Entonet, Illasit towns and their surroundings.
The aim of the organization is to provide orphaned and vulnerable children with a nurturing environment that supports education, personal growth, spiritual growth and career development. To this end we carry out rehabilitation through counseling, medical care, feeding programs, providing clothing and shelter, opportunities for formal education to the highest level possible and also re-integrate the children back to their families. We also train children on their rights and provide life skills training and psychosocial support.
TITLE: Social Worker
REPORTING TO: Programs Officer
DEPARTMENT: Teule Kenya Programs
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate and conduct home visits in order to build a relationship with children and verify children’s cases with the aim of possible selection.
- Recommend admission of children into program after carefully assessing their needs.
- Conduct verification visits to community/residence/streets as the initial prerequisite for admission of the child into the Teule -Kenya support program.
- Prepare and keep up to date file case histories in each child’s file
- Conduct routine follow up home/residence and school visits to monitor the attendance and progress of children and Caregivers.
- Collect and ensure records on Home and school visits are properly maintained and updated.
- Conduct one on one counseling with each child and in groups and chart their behavior progress depending on their cases/situation.
- Identifying individual child talent/skills and other special abilities and seeking ways to nurture them.
- Conduct counseling informing Caregivers about situations concerning their child (ren) while providing psychosocial support to both the OVCs and Caregivers.
- Participate in advocating for the rights of the children in the schools where the TEULE children are enrolled, among the Caregivers and in the community as a whole.
- Facilitate re-integration and repatriation process of children into their families.
- Contribute to the building our network of organizations and agencies in our field.
- Representing TEULE-Kenya in workshops, seminars or any other meetings that conduct or carryout children’s matters.
- Prepare and oversee bi-weekly updates, monthly reports and diaries/journals.
- Documenting all school’s important days such as closing, midterm, visiting, academic clinics and opening days.
- Liaising with the schools administration to enquire about school fees payments and also negotiating for Teule children when school fees delays.
- Preparing and presenting child related budgets to the accounts and Center Manager’s Office.
- Work closely with the fundraising department and present the children needs on monthly basis.
- Develop visitation rosters for the children to and for any of their relatives.
- Identify children who can stay with foster parents, relatives and guardians
- Identify and verify foster families and responsible foster parents.
- Apply and renewal children’s legal documents e.g. court committals, birth certificates and others
- Prepare and consistently submit Monthly population returns to the children’s department
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by your supervisor.
- Must be a born- again and committed Christian. A recommendation letter from a church minister is mandatory
- Diploma in social Work. Degree in Social Work or Counselling Psychology will be an added advantage
- Must be passionate about serving children.
- Has a minimum of three years’ work experience and especially in Child related environment.
- Must have a good conduct Certificate
- Willing to relocate and work in Loitoktok Sub-county, Kajiado County