Sports and Extra-Curricular Coordinator
Full time contractual position - starting Jan or May 2019
This is a middle management position within range of Salary Grade level 12a (dependent on experience and qualifications).
Kivukoni school has recently invested significantly in its sporting facilities, and now requires a dynamic and dedicated professional to maximise on the new potential for both its pupils and the wider community.
This role is critical to the physical and emotional well-being of all the pupils in the school, as well as the reputation of the school as one that nurtures the holistic development and well-being of its children.
It involves being an inspiring and supportive collaborator with teachers and management staff, and a diplomatic communicator with parents.
This position also includes involvement in the co-curricular and holiday activity programs.
Responsible to: School Director and Deputy Head
- Embrace and facilitate new sporting and extra-curricular opportunities for all pupils and sports staff
- Develop the sporting profile of the school, effectively coordinating the growing sports staff
- Enhance and oversee the weekly club activity program for juniors and seniors
- Develop and oversee holiday activities for the wider community and to optimise use of school facilities
- Provide support and guidance to young people and those engaged with them in order to promote effective participation, enhance individual learning, raise aspirations and achieve their potential
- Ensure a physically safe learning environment, in line with Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Assist with the development of a strategic vision for the school in non –academic fields
- Maintaining high morale and professionalism within the school
- Coordinate and implement appropriate sporting and extra-curricular programs
- Maintain knowledge of contemporary thinking and best practice in health, safety and sports provision and contribute these ideas to the relevant school staff
- Participate in and lead appropriate professional learning activities
- Support staff to promote physical fitness and well-being in all aspects of school life
- Support staff to promote inclusivity in and enjoyment of sports across the age ranges
- Support staff to promote excellence in sports
CURRICULUM and SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT
- Ensure the documentation of physical education and extra-curricular policies and curriculum is current
- Ensure that all sports are delivered in line with up to date rules and regulations and in line with curriculum requirements
- Oversee effective provision and use of sports resources to optimise delivery of curriculum
- Be responsible for acquisition of sporting goods, maintaining a budget for sports resources and activities and provide reports annually showing expenditure and value
- Taking part in sports and PE lessons on needs basis and to support and evaluate pupils and staff
- Evaluate own work and provide evidence for the management board that demonstrates the impact that this role has both on pupil and school development
- Training and management of House Captains
- Responsible for the efficient running of the House system
- Any other duties deemed necessary by the school director or deputy head which are commensurate to the nature and purpose of the role
- Liaise with students, parents and staff regarding sports, health and extra-curricular issues
- Liaise with external and internal agencies working with the school (e.g sports coaches, teams, consultants)
- Develop and maintain effective and supportive relationships with children and their families
- Seek new sporting opportunities, and opportunities that will enhance their holistic development, for children in the local and wider environment
- Provide and oversee feedback to parents on a pupil's progress at parents' evenings and in school reports
- Work with parents to maximise their involvement in school sports and sporting events
- Induct and support new staff members in regard to relevant policies and procedures
- Create job descriptions and interview staff for sports or extra-curricular related roles
- Evaluate and support all sports staff at least once during their 2 year contracts
Applicants should provide a statement of no more than 300 words which outline the ways in which they fulfill the following criteria:
- Appropriate undergraduate qualifications and TSC registration.
- At least 3 years experience in the field of school sports co-ordination and extra-curricular activities.
- A capacity to develop, provide and evaluate effective sporting programs.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills.
- A passion to develop the full potential of children in non-academic fields.
- Knowledge and interest in environmental education a strong advantage.
Applicants for this position should also include in their application the following information:
Educational qualifications (please provide copies of academic transcripts with application)
- Previous work history
- A photocopy of PIN and TSC registration
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional referees from whom confidential information may be sought.
“Kivukoni’s vision is to be a uniquely stimulating primary school and learning centre for Coast Province, Kenya.
Working closely with staff and parents, the mission of Kivukoni school is to provide affordable, high quality and broad based education to children of different cultural backgrounds, to support their love of learning and to nurture each child’s holistic growth.”