Reports to: DIRECTOR
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- In liaison with the School Heads and finance department, maintain an up to date boarding list for each of the school buses and that School pupils are picked and dropped as per agreed timelines.
- Check vehicle routes, conduct route surveys and ensure that the route for each bus is the most efficient and economical.
- Ensure that the vehicles are cleaned and well maintained on a daily basis.
- Ensure timely acquisition and renewal of all Traffic Act licenses.
- Establishing fueling and vehicle service timetables.
- Respond to any transport enquiries from parents as received from the Head Teacher and ensuring the driver on the specific route gets the necessary information in appropriate time.
- Liaise with traffic police and local authorities on matters pertaining to road safety, accident investigations, etc.
- Prepare vehicles for inspection.
- Identify vehicles which require impromptu maintenance and those that require planned and scheduled maintenance.
- Ensure timely renewals of insurance cover for all vehicles.
- Ensuring all vehicles have first aid boxes, spare tyres on padlock and also ensuring that keys for all vehicles are kept safe;
- Confirm all the school transport vehicles comply with the transport requirements.
- Confirm that the school transport drivers have the required documentation as required by the company and government.
- Ensure proper and current records are kept for each vehicle for reference as and when required. Such records will include:
- Vehicle Registration numbers
- Fuel records
- Breakdown records
- Insurance cover and licenses
- Log books
- Vehicle movement records
- Ensure the group companies properties both leased and owned are kept in excellent condition.
- Liaise with the various caretakers to ensure any required repairs are done on time and at a reasonable cost.
- Liaise with the various suppliers/ fundis to ensure the repairs are done in a durable manner.
- To oversee management of security for the various locations and any breach or threat of security is reported and acted upon promptly.
- Ensure security access records are kept accurately and is a neat manner.
- To ensure all required licenses are acquired and paid for on time.
- To ensure all equipment and machinery is kept in useable state and that required repairs and maintenance is done promptly and at a reasonable cost.
- To liaise with the various locate/ departments to ensure they have all the required equipment and machinery to perform their duties comfortably.
- To ensure property reports required on a weekly basis are received on time and worked on.
- To ensure electricity, water and telephone bills are paid on time.
- To ensure that land rates and land rents are paid on time.
- To ensure all properties are kept immaculately clean at all times.
- Assess the staffing needs and participate effectively in the recruitment of all the staff in the department.
- Supervision and duty allocation of all drivers and turn men for Schools/Company’s transport assignments.
- Ensure staffs in the department are sufficiently motivated to carry out their assigned responsibilities.
- Maintain an accurate master roll and ensure all staff in the department sign in and out daily.
- Manage the preparation of leave and off duty schedules for staff in the department.
- Carry out performance appraisals for staff in the department as per the Company Appraisal Policy.
- Manage the induction of new staff in the department in liaison with the HR department for familiarization with the company’s operations.
- Ensure timely preparation of reports in respect to Vehicles, property conditions and legal compliance.
- Ensures that all relevant licenses are procured, valid and publicly displayed as required.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Director.
KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree/Diploma in Business Administration or Logistics
- 5 years relevant working experience in the transport department of a busy commercial organization
- Computer literate and proficient in standard office computer applications
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organisational skills