- Business development – generating new business and ensuring retention of existing customers.
- Fleet Management – Building a reliable fleet of vehicles to ensure the company delivers on all contractual obligations, which includes managing of sub-contracted vehicles to ensure compliance to company policies and procedures.
- Leading and developing operations workforce team to ensure optimal performance.
- Performance Management – Developing driver and other operations staff score cards and conducting periodic appraisal.
- Business Intelligence – Keeping and collecting requisite data to ensure route efficiency and trip optimization;
- Resolving problems concerning transportation or customer issues and any other that may arise in the course of conducting business;
- Relationship Management – Proper managing of relationships with our suppliers, clients and subcontractors in a professional and ethical manner while building strong and lasting relationships that benefit the company.
- Document Management – Maintaining records of all vehicles in the fleet of registrations, inspections and equipment.
- Maintaining strong internal controls to ensure cost containment;
- Workshop Management – Managing workshop operations of procuring and servicing of vehicles. Monitoring the conditions of the vehicle to ensure they are in good condition and proposing replacements when necessary.
- Ensuring customer cargo is delivered in full without damages or shortages by coordinating with team to comply with Quality Assurance policy.
- Negotiating rates and development of service level agreements with suppliers, distributors and subcontractors with the aim of controlling costs and ensure optimal service.
- Ensuring HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) standards are upheld as per company policy;
- Representing the company in client meetings and generating new business
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management role in an established commercial transport company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management (bias in Transport and/or Logistics and/or Supply Chain Management).
- Diploma in Transport and Logistics Management or Fleet Management or Mechanical Engineering (Automotive).
- Training in computers.
- Basic training on workplace health, safety and environment aspects.
- Comprehensive understanding of Supply Chain Management and Transport & Logistics Operational Systems
- Good understanding of all relevant legal compliance and fleet controls
- Experience in effectively operating in a high-volume service driven transport operation
- Customer oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task.
- Excellent Communication Skills - Ability to communicate effectively with others orally and in writing.
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.