Duties and Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Develops a timely and efficient bus schedule which allows students to be transported to and from school in a manner which supports the Traffic Laws and Acts
- Coordinates with teachers and school management the use of Transportation Department vehicles to transport student and/or staff to special education functions and events
- Assesses bus routes and other transportation functions to ensure that maximum safety, service, etc. are being attained, makes adjustments when necessary if maximum potentials are not being reached
- Recommends all Transportation Department employees for hire, transfer and promotion
- Develops training manuals and maintains training records for all Transportation Department drivers and assigns training tasks to experienced workers
- Communicates and promotes high expectations for staff and employee performance in a supportive way and provides proper recognition of excellence and achievement
- Defines job performance expectations of staff, evaluates job performance, conducts conferences and/or improvement plans to ensure the best operation of the Department
- Resolve worker problems or collaborate with employees to assist in problem resolution.
- Review requests, schedules, and notices to determine work sequences, and destinations.
- Ensures that bus drivers are familiar with procedures in dealing with misconduct/conflicts
- Participates in relevant professional growth experiences which expand knowledge of operating the department
- Monitor field work to ensure that it is being performed properly.
- Receives and files current enrollment reports (by geographic area)
- Prepares and submits all reports required by the school board
- Reviews purchase requisitions for the Transportation Department
- Provides the Purchasing Department with bid specifications when attaining new buses
- Prepare, compile, and submit reports on work activities, operations, and work-related accidents
- Develops procedures for extracurricular trips involving Transportation Department vehicles and personnel
- Coordinates the rental of charter buses and other vehicles used in field trips and staff functions
- Ensures that all vehicles in the Transportation Department are adequately maintained by overseeing or scheduling repairs and preventive maintenance of vehicles and other equipment
- Inspect or test materials, stock, vehicles, equipment, and facilities to ensure that they are safe, free of defects, and consistent with specifications.
- Ensures that data is maintained in relation to fuel expenditures per vehicle
- Accepts responsibilities for registering, licensing and maintaining a maintenance log for all vehicles
- Keeps abreast of current specifications required by the law regarding school buses & interpret transportation regulations, safety regulations for employees.
- Safeguards the transportation inventory and follows appropriate accounting procedures
- Compute and estimate personnel requirements.
- Demonstrates awareness of school/community needs, and initiates activities which address such needs
- Responds in a positive and professional manner to parents who have problems or express concerns
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Current Bus Driver Certification is an added advantage
- Commercial Driver’s License
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in training and management or supervision and knowledge of transportation preferred
- Experience in field of fleet management
- Technology proficient
- Experienced bus driver
- Proven skills in leadership, management and team building
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Interested persons should submit their applications together with:
- Copies of all academic qualifications (transcripts and certificates)
- Their detailed CVs and their contact mobile telephone numbers
- 3 work references and /or academic references
Send application, CV with all relevant testimonies and reference letters by Thursday 27th February 2020