Grade: 5 (N)
Division: Information Management
Section: Information Technology (IT)
CWS RSC Africa
The Resettlement Support Center (CWS RSC Africa) operates a US refugee resettlement program in sub-Saharan Africa through a Cooperative Agreement with the Department of State/Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration. CWS RSC Africa is responsible for the preparation of refugee case files for adjudication by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officers, as well as the out-processing and cultural orientation of all approved cases. CWS RSC Africa is administered by the Church World Service Immigration Refugee Program (CWS/IRP) and is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
None. This is a temporary position, not entitled to benefits.
Church World Service does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status in employment or the provision of services.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
Valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued within the past six (6) months is required before the start of employment.
Please note CWS RSC Africa does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
The eligibility list established as a result of this job posting will be used for a minimum of six months or until the list is exhausted. This list will be used to fill any current and immediate future vacancies. Individuals who are interested in this position should submit their application materials now.
Please note CWS RSC Africa uses e-mail for all recruitment contacts. Please be sure to check your e-mail regularly.
Your application materials should clearly indicate how you meet the requirements of the position. Be sure your resume is in an easy to read format. Dates of employment on your resume should be in mm/yy format
This position is primarily responsible for contributing to the development of IT based systems to meet the business requirements of RSC Africa, with the emphasis of the position being on the design and development of IT based software applications. The incumbent will be responsible for writing and coding software systems to meet specific organizational requirements.
This position reports directly to the IT Manager.
- Works closely with the current IT Developer to assist in the development of RSC Africa applications.
- Interprets written business requirements and technical specification documents.
- Designs, develops, tests and implements software for the organization to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Develops and improves existing IT software by analyzing and identifying areas that may need to be changed.
- Develop software applications for written technical specifications which will involve writing new program code or adapting existing software code.
- Develop and document testing plans and carry out any necessary tests to the developed software to ensure functionality as requested.
- Investigates, analyzes, and documents reported defects, and performs maintenance and correction of those defects.
- Write and maintain system documentation, both technical and user manual, for developed software.
- Provides user support to other computer users in the office when situation calls for it
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree or four (4) years of experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree is required.
2 years of paid work experience is required.
1 year directly related specialized experience performing the essential duties is required.
Experience in ICT project management preferred.
- Strong knowledge in the Net and web development environment with relational databases.
- Strong knowledge in relational database (MySQL, Postgres, T-SQL) architecture, design and development,
- Strong knowledge in Ajax, JQuery, ASP, PHP, and C#.
- Strong Knowledge in Object Oriented Programming.
- Knowledge of GIT Version Control.
- SQL reporting services, BIDS environment a plus.
- Android and Java programming experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Model View Controller (MVC) a plus.
The IT Developer must have the ability to:
- interpret written requirements and technical specification documents;
- effectively organize and comment code;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
- maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects;
- lead others and address issues as they arise;
- maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
- effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
- actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, climbing, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying moderate loads.
Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust.
Certificate of Good Conduct is required before the start of employment.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include speaking to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Program Planning and Management
Organize work and/or plan projects and ensure timely completion and/or successful implementation. Examples of skills and behaviors include identifying and analyzing program options; identifying the tasks and deliverables required for successful completion; managing one’s time; monitoring the resources involved and ensuring that they are directed most effectively; and working with all involved to ensure successful completion.
Guide and direct oneself or other individuals and groups toward a desired outcome. Examples of skills and behaviors include taking the appropriate level of initiative to resolve problems or remove obstacles, bringing individuals together around a common goal; evaluating information and making decisions; navigating conflict and obstacles; and ensuring that communication takes place between all parties involved.
Resource Building and Stewardship
Balance the acquisition or investment of organization resources with responsible use of those resources in line with the organization’s mission. Examples of skills and behaviors include taking advantage of all opportunities to cultivate potential donors; evaluating situations to identify the best use of resources; and making responsible investments of resources that increase organization effectiveness.
How to apply:
Apply via the link below to access the job advert.