- Oversee the development, management, and monitoring of quarterly budgets, financial reports, projection of funding needs in accordance with Cornerstone’s financial policies;
- Manage and systemize business policies and accounting practices and communicate with the E.D.’s, S.M.T. and Board of Directors on financial matters. This position also reviews operating costs and suggest cost-saving and financial risk-mitigation measures for the organization.
- Oversee all banking and statutory requirements of the institution, including forex transaction and investment of funds as may be required from time to time, ensuring all tax obligations and the filing of all statutory returns are undertaken in a timely manner;
- Oversee the institutions’ financial operations and financial reporting; provide guidance and technical assistance to the accountant and any other financial management personnel (e.g. procurement and stores officers);
- Oversee the accounting and reporting systems for project and operational expenditures, and provide guidance and training to staff and partners on financial procedures;
- Provide overall on-going financial administration for operational and project requirements, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, and vendor invoices;
- Ensure that all operational and project expenses are in compliance with Cornerstone’s financial policies and procedures and donor requirements. Ensure the integrity of Cornerstone’s financial systems, including undertaking minimum bi-weekly financial reconciliation with the Accountant in accordance to Cornerstone’s financial policy;
- Work with the accountant to ensure the timely submission of accurate financial reports and data for decision making by the SMT and Board;
- Ensure annual financial audits are undertaken in a timely manner, and ensure the proper and timely implementation of all audit recommendations;
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, Accountant and Operations Manager, liaise with donors on finance, administrative, and operations issues, participating in discussions on contract issues and actions, and following up on client requests and concerns;
- Coordinate regularly with the overall ministry finance teams in Kenya and in the USA,providing timely updates and input on finance matters;
b) Administrative Roles
· Responsible to ensure the overall administrative functions of the institution run smoothly on a daily basis. This includes ensuring departments have needed supplies, and a conducive working environment and troubleshooting any issues that may arise.
· Helping to negotiate contracts, managing vendor relationships, and overseeing administrative office operating procedures.
· Responsible to ensure Cornerstone’s information technology (IT) and phone systems are optimal for the needs of the organization. Provides oversight for network administration and helps evaluate information systems.
c) Strategic Roles
· Play an active role in the development and implementation of the organization’s strategy and plans in line with its mission, vision and values and in overall organization development;
· Together with the SMT and leadership facilitate, oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of Cornerstone’s strategic plan in view of her positioning and orientation within the organizational life-cycle growth curve, and help create proper internal alignment and congruency of the structures, programs and activities of the organization towards its intended strategic direction;
· Provide the leadership required to develop and nurture a conducive internal organizational culture that supports the implementation of organizational plans and strategies;
· Developing and nurturing local strategic partnerships (e.g. engendering closer engagement(s) within the existing Mai Mahiu ministry summit partnerships, closer working relationships with other local schools etc.)
d) Resource Mobilization
· Explore, develop and engage local resource mobilization/fundraising capacities.
· Working with the SMT, help raise the profile of the organization both locally and nationally with a view of sourcing necessary resources and support.
· In consultation with the E.D’s, Board and S.M.T, seek to establish support networks and partnerships with the local community.
· Developing and sustaining fundraising strategies with the E.D’s, Board and S.M.T, and supporting the organizations’ fundraising activities.
· Oversee staff in the development and implementation of local fundraising plans and activities.
· Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the E.D’s, Board and SMT.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field; Master’s preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in administration, management and/or managing finance. Significant experience with financial management, including financial controls, accounting, and audit, reporting, and expense validation and reimbursement;
- Ability to work across various teams with excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build consensus and navigate complex operating environments, including demonstrated experience managing and supervising financial, administrative, and procurement personnel;
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with an emphasis on budget and financial analysis;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong interpersonal, administrative, problem solving and leadership skills.
- Mature Christian with deep grounding in the orthodox tenets of Biblical faith.