UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund Somalia
National Post: Administrative & Logistics Assistant, Somalia
CO – NSU [GS – 4]
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: One Year (with possibility of renewal based on need, performance and funding)
Rotation: This post is non-rotational.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF KENYA.
The Position: The Administrative/Logistics Assistant position is located in the UNFPA Somalia’s Nairobi Service Unit. Under the overall guidance of the International Operations Manager (IOM), the Administrative/Logistics Assistant is under the direct supervision and reports to the Operations Analyst/Head of NSU.
The Administrative/Logistics Assistant provides administrative and logistical support, maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, information flow and follow up on deadlines and commitments made.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
Job Purpose: Under the overall guidance of the International Operations Manager and the direct supervision of the Operations Analyst/Head of NSU, the incumbent will provide administrative and logistical support to the Country office and works in close collaboration with the Operations/Programme/Technical Teams.
You will actively participate in programme operations meetings to ensure quality services to clients. You will foster a collaborative, client-oriented approach towards the Programme team and Nairobi service unit, and support effective communication and cooperation with CO Management.
You would be responsible for:
Effective Administrative Management of Travel Services
- Prepare and maintain the consolidated Country Office Travel Plan
- Monitor the validity of the Travel LTA ensuring collaboration with other UN entities in sharing knowledge related to contracts/LTAs for Travel related services.
- Maintain a travel service request system/tool that comprehensively captures statuory approvals in line with the Travel Policy/Guidelines.
- Key focal point for contacting the approved travel agent in requesting travel for duly authorized personnel including UNFPA staff Consultants, Government staff, IPs, Youths and other
- UNFPA-sponsored participants for local/ International Conferences or missions within the Country and Foreign Countries.
- Maintain all records related to request for services and any adjustments/alterations/modifications, thereof.
- Maintain an up to date travel tracking records.
- Review monthly bills related to travel and verify against the travel tracking record and corresponding request for services. Follow up for outstanding invoices.
- Raise PO’s in ATLAS ie buyer profile.
- Follow up for approval to pay bills, ensuring requisitions and POs raised are routed to finance for timely payment. Any credit notes received should be shared with the Finance Office.
- Conduct bi-weekly reconciliation of accounts with travel agents
- Conduct a monthly analysis of travel records to facilitate efficient tracking and monitoring all used and unused tickets to avoid penalties related to tickets
- Maintain travel related records ensuring chronological e-filing for easy access and retrieval.
- Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNFPA shipments (received/sent), preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions.
- Implementation of checklist for timely processing of statutory regularization processing (UNON debriefs, permits, licenses, clearances, PIN cards, registration and de-registration of Vehicles etc.) for the office and eligible personnel
- Administrative support in the preparation of travel document requirements e.g. processing requests for visas, note verbales and other documents.
- Logistics support to office conferences, workshops and retreats.
- Maintenance of logistics and protocol related filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential Information.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to IOM/Operations Analyst.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the Operations staff on travel procedures;
- Keep abreast of updates/changes in the travel guidelines and make information available to staff and be a resource person in disseminating, interpreting and updating travel related information to the Country office.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed High School Level Education required. First level university degree in any business related field is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 4 years of progressively responsible experience in a similar position, or in the areas of Administration or Travel and logistics.
- Knowledge of the United Nations systems and procedures would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Good knowledge of Atlas/PeopleSoft is an advantage.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Languages: Fluency in English written and spoken is essential.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Logistical support
- Managing data, documents correspondence and reports according to the norms and workflow that comply with the established UN Standards
- Planning and Organizing and Multi-tasking
- Job knowledge
CLICK the Apply Now Button.
Closing Date: 12 May 2021
UNFPA Work Environment: UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Note: UNFPA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNFPA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Compensation and Benefits: This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary, Annual leave, health insurance and other benefits.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm