This is a new role and a major growth area for MNMUK. The post-holder will shape objectives and areas of focus.
- Minimum Qualification:Unspecified
- Experience Level:Executive level
- Experience Length:5 years
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: Nairobi (the candidate will also spend time in our London office)
Salary: £65,000-85,000 per annum (dependent on experience), plus benefits
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
About Malaria No More UK
Believed to be the oldest killer disease in history, malaria has been responsible for the deaths of more people than any other disease, yet it could be ended within our lifetimes.
Despite significant progress since 2000, with over 7 million lives saved, this entirely preventable and curable disease claims the life of a child every two minutes, and the most recent WHO World Malaria Report 2019 showed that 29% of pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa suffered from malaria in 2018. Malaria No More UK (MNM UK) is part of a global movement that is determined to make this the generation to end malaria. To realise this vision, we are mobilising governments, influencers, businesses, and the public, inspiring them to commit funds, energy and resources to end the suffering and death caused by malaria and wipe out the disease for good.
Malaria No More UK (MNMUK) has a straightforward objective – to end malaria. We believe this is achievable by building on the successes of the last 15 years and by bringing new resources to the challenge. In a rapidly changing world where fashionable issues come and go, the global community must be relentless in pursuing the end of the oldest, deadliest disease in human history.
The campaign to reduce and eliminate malaria will be won or lost in sub-Saharan Africa. Advocacy, communications and influence-building which leads to the engagement of the continent’s key national decision-makers can play a disproportionate role in deciding an outcome that will affect the lives of millions of people. Malaria No More UK is making the biggest strategic shift since it was founded – increasingly supporting advocacy and communications led by partners in those key communities fighting to end malaria. This exciting role, at the heart of our organisation’s mission, will be instrumental in realising the organisation’s increasing strategic and partnership focus to support African-led leadership and action against malaria.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic results-driven leader and campaigner fired with determination to bring an end to the injustice of people dying of a preventable and curable disease. They will be someone with the self-awareness to understand that such a task is best achieved through engaging and inspiring a multiplicity of diverse partners. They will be an innovative thinker and doer with an ability to prioritise and manage a portfolio of diverse stakeholders. As an articulate and confident influencer and communicator, demonstrating political awareness and sensitivity, the Africa Director will create sustainable relationships with, and represent the charity to, the highest level of Governments and multisectoral international and national partners.
This is an opportunity to design the future of the malaria campaign in Kenya – considering opportunities to scale MNMUK’s offer and models to other African malaria-affected contexts and build a set of critical partnerships to deliver on our mission. The postholder will be supported in this by the strong MNMUK team and group of Directors with international expertise in advocacy, communications, malaria and global health policy, and operations. MNMUK’s board continues to seek to expand representation of Africa-based trustees with a brief to oversee and support growth in Kenya and beyond. MNMUK has long-standing and deep relationships with numerous key partners working in Kenya and in sub-Saharan Africa.
The postholder will inherit exciting foundations and can develop 4 major current or incipient areas of work:
1. Leading the development of the Zero Malaria Campaign Coalition (ZMCC) in Kenya and developing / delivering a scale-strategy for the model
2. Ensuring national and county-level advocacy in Kenya builds a network of champions and advocates, ultimately maintaining the political will and resourcing to eradicate malaria in Kenya
3. Delivering the Zero Malaria Starts with Me campaign in key African markets in partnership with pro bono partners and numerous malaria campaign partners
4. Inspiring accountability for, and delivery of, commitments made at the 2022 Malaria and NTDs Summit alongside the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Kigali
This is a new role and a major growth area for MNMUK. The post-holder will shape objectives and areas of focus. Initial responsibilities will include:
Lead the design, development and delivery of MNMUK’s Kenyan and Africa strategies, including oversight of and accountability for deliveryof the 2023 Kenya / Africa workstream objectives
Lead the ZMCC:
· Reviewing the ZMCC structure for sustainability and design
· Implementing the strategy with the MNM UK team and co-leads of the Secretariat, WACI Health
· Ensure the highest standards of governance apply to the Secretariat and ZMCC Steering Committee
· Build and deliver against a sustainability plan for the ZMCC – focusing on long-term funding
· Oversee delivery of gold-standard communications and campaigns activities for maximum advocacy impact
· Lead ZMCC ‘test-learn-adapt’ processes, developing the model for scale through rigorous evidence and impact generation.
Lead the Kenya-based team, coordinating across the Africa work-stream with the rest of the organisation, developing talent and fostering personal and professional development for team members based in Kenya, and overseeing new recruitment.
Build powerful partnerships with multisectoral partners (Governments, parliamentarians, businesses, talent, media, youth and faith champions, malaria-focused organisations, philanthropists etc) that enable the delivery of MNMUK’s ambitious objectives in Kenya and regions of SSA
Represent the Kenya / Africa workstream as part of MNMUK’s LT and to its Board – including strategic communications to share opportunities and evolution of the strategy, delivery against MNMUK Board actions, and joint working on organisational priorities. Key internal connections and priorities will include:
· Working with the Director of Advocacy to identify and build on the many synergies between our UK, international (including Commonwealth) and Kenyan / African advocacy and policy work
· Work with the Director of Global Communications to develop and deliver effective campaigns and communications support for advocacy goals in Kenya and other priority African countries
· Work with the Director of Programmes and Partnership Development to grow capacity to deliver objectives through active identification and leadership of fundraising initiatives relating to work in Kenya and potential scale countries in Africa
· Work with the CEO, Global Advocacy, Policy and Partnerships to link the work in Kenya / priority African countries (e.g. Rwanda, South Africa, Nigeria, Zambia) with key international institutions (including the Global Fund, RBM and others), and processes
· Support organisation-wide efforts relating to strategy, partner development (inc governments, multilateral, private sector) and fundraising
· Work with the CEO and Leadership Team to develop and support other areas of work as required.
Qualifications, skills and experience
· Experience of supporting teams through change process, motivating and encouraging leadership from individuals in service of results and futureproofing for growing organisations
· Experience developing and leading communications and advocacy partnerships and generating available resource to deliver major national and international results
· Track record in devising strategy, project design and delivery of ambitious goals
· Leadership experience of designing and delivering work which has influenced governments, parliamentarians, and the media to bring about change in policy, practice or funding in Kenya and – ideally – other countries in Africa.
· Experience working in or around Kenya, other African and international political institutions
· Understanding of national and international resource mobilisation and political decision making and champion/influencer engagement as relevant to the role.
· Experience motivating powerful and influential individuals and organisations to become partners and use their power and influence to achieve ambitious objectives on behalf of a cause
· Experience bringing in significant new business/funding to enable ambitious project delivery, and managing major grant/business/client partnerships
· A willingness and ability to travel, particularly within Africa and to/from the UK, as required.
· Experience developing the advocacy/communications capacity of a variety of organisations in Africa
· Experience running national or regional advocacy, communications and/or media campaigns in Africa
· Experience working in a matrixed decision-making structure
· Experience of working in international development and on global health issues
· Experience setting up and starting projects in one or more countries
· Ability to speak French or other helpful languages
· A personal, lived malaria experience
To Apply for this role please submit CV and Covering letter via "Apply Now Button".
MNMUK recognises the value of a team in which people from diverse backgrounds are able to introduce fresh ideas and contribute to delivering our mission to make Malaria No More. Candidates from historically marginalised or underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This job description and person specification is a statement of requirements at the time of writing and is not contractual or exhaustive. It should not be seen as precluding future changes after appointment to this role and may be amended over time in consultation with the Director
Staff benefits include:
- 10% employer pension contributions
- 28 days’ annual leave plus public holiday days in the postholders country of residence
- Private medical insurance may be available for non-UK residents depending on the postholders country of residence
- Interest-free staff season ticket loan and bicycle loan schemes
- Continuing personal development opportunities
- Professional training & qualification subsidy
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured