Certificate in Agriculture, Animal Production or a related field.
- Minimum Qualification: Certificate
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 2 years
Our client is one of the leading pioneer forces in sustainable agriculture in the UAE with a vision to harmonize traditional livestock farming practices with innovative, eco-conscious methods. The client seeks to fill the position of Animal Assistant with a suitably qualified and competent person with proven experience in animal production and agriculture.
As an animal assistant on the sheep farm, you play a crucial role in the care and management of sheep. The ideal candidate should be well-versed sheep behavior, nutrition and health as well as commitment to the welfare of the animals under their care. Effective communication and teamwork with other farm staff and the farm manager are also essential for the smooth operation of the farm.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
1. Feeding and Watering: Ensure that sheep have access to clean and adequate food and water. This includes feeding them according to a prescribed diet, which may change based on the sheep's age and health.
2. Herding and Handling: Assist in herding sheep to different pastures or pens as needed. This may involve using herding dogs, horses, or other tools to move the sheep safely and efficiently.
3. Health Monitoring: Observe sheep for signs of illness or injury and report any concerns to the farm manager or veterinarian. Administer medications and treatments as directed by the farm's health protocols.
4. Lambing Assistance: Assist with lambing during the lambing season, helping ewes with the birthing process and caring for newborn lambs. This may involve providing additional warmth, colostrum, or medical attention when necessary.
5. Fencing and Infrastructure: Maintain and repair fences, gates, and other infrastructure to ensure the safety and security of the sheep. This includes routine checks for any damage or potential escape routes.
6. Pasture Management: Participate in rotational grazing and pasture management practices to optimize the use of available forage and maintain pasture health.
7. Record Keeping: Maintain accurate records of sheep health, births, deaths, and other important information. This information helps with farm management and breeding decisions.
8. Shearing: Assist with shearing sheep to harvest wool. This may involve preparing sheep for shearing, helping the shearer, and ensuring the comfort and well-being of the sheep during the process.
9. Vaccinations and Parasite Control: Administer vaccinations and deworming treatments according to the farm's vaccination schedule and parasite control program.
10. Equipment Maintenance: Keep farm equipment and tools used in sheep care clean and in good working order. This includes maintaining and cleaning feeding equipment, shearing tools, and more.
11. Breeding and Reproduction: Assist with breeding activities, such as ram selection, estrus detection, and artificial insemination if applicable.
12. Daily Health Checks: Conduct daily health checks to identify any sheep that may be in distress, injured, or showing signs of illness. Promptly isolate and treat affected animals.
13. Predator Control: Help protect sheep from potential predators by implementing control measures, such as using guardian animals or installing deterrents.
14. Biosecurity: Follow biosecurity protocols to prevent the introduction and spread of diseases on the farm. This may include wearing designated clothing and disinfecting equipment.
15. Emergency Response: Be prepared to respond to emergencies, such as severe weather events, fires, or disease outbreaks, to ensure the safety and well-being of the sheep.
The job holder should have the following qualifications.
1. Certificate in Agriculture, Animal Production or a related field.
2. Minimum of 2 years’ proven experience, particularly in Animal Production.
3. Certification in basic first aid and CPR for animals can be advantageous. - Any relevant certifications related to farming or animal husbandry are a plus.
4. Prior experience working on a sheep farm or with livestock is valuable.
THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills and competencies.
• Familiarity with different sheep breeds and their characteristics.
• Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and establish lasting relationships.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
• A genuine love for animals and a strong commitment to their well-being.
• Ability to identify issues and find practical solutions in a farm environment.
• Good physical stamina and fitness, as the role often involves strenuous activities like lifting, herding, and fence maintenance.
• A valid driver's license may be required for transporting animals or equipment.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING THE RIGHT PERSON
We are offering a competitive remuneration package for the successful candidate.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.