Reporting to: Engineering & Maintenance Manager
Department: Maintenance & Engineering
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
Industry: Plastic Manufacturing
• To optimize equipment and utilities through maintainability, reliability, availability, OEE and infrastructure to support the achievement of the business goals.
• Oversee new projects and develop and monitor the implementation based on agreed timelines as per Project charter.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Engineering, Maintenance & Project:
• Develop Department’s short, medium- and long-term strategies to align them to the production and corporate objectives;
• Budget: Prepare budgets and control costs within the approved limits.
• Liaise with marketing/commercial team to develop /design market appropriate products aligning with manufacturing capabilities to meet the business requirements and ensure compliance with the manufacturing standard. Collaborate with the sales, production and planning team to institute an integrated planning and control process that will achieve the targeted budget numbers (OEE)
• Project Management: Plan and manage the Dept.’s CAPEX investment projects within the approved budget with respect to cost, quality and time; Develop plans and coordinate projects and drive the planning, installation and commissioning of new production lines
• Develop and execute maintenance plans to ensure effective utilization, efficiency and optimization of the Plant, Equipment, facilities and utilities to meet set standards.
• Track and optimize productivity of machinery and utilities to ensure effective return on assets while adhering to lean manufacturing principles.
• Interact with, research and recommend adoption of relevant, best in class systems and technology, draw and implement appropriate training plans to up skill staff to operate efficiently with new technology.
• Design Preventive, Predictive maintenance strategies, procedures and methods to ensure operational reliability and availability of the plant and ensure optimal machine, mold and utilities are available for achieving 95% efficiency
• Provide technical advice, mentorship, coaching and instructions to the engineering team; Lead and coordinate the team work in order to ensure they have the resources and skills to quickly and effectively respond to downtimes.
• Reports: Oversee preparation of reports, such as statistical and data analysis reports, for all engineering processes and key machines and to identify places of waste, downtime, overtime, cost outruns and implement ways of controlling it.
• Equipment: Blow & Injection Moulding equipment’s and Utilities namely Netstal, Ferromatik Milacron, Engel, Husky, Kautex, Atlas Copco, Piovan Chillers, ABB HT
• Transformers, UPS
• Continuously review daily, weekly and monthly production schedules, consumption reports, and demand forecasts to estimate peak and delivery timings.
• Monitor and recommend necessary changes to the layout of plant, machinery and production processes and methods for any new equipment, materials or components
• Make decisions about equipment use, maintenance, modification and organizing the repair and routine maintenance of production equipment.
• Manage safety by addressing both physical and employee behavioral related safety issues to ensure minimum unsafe incidents at workplace and compliance with legislation.
• Develop and maintain production metrics for quality, delivery, and safety and ensure strict adherence to expected metrics by the manufacturing team.
• Monitor product standards at various levels of production so that the cost of rework is reduced.
• Review production practices and equipment; make proposals for improvements to ensure that they are maximally effective.
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
• At least 7 years proven hands on experience in Maintenance & Engineering in a top tier Plastics Manufacturing based in Asia, Middle East and Africa.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in plastic processing industry as Engineering / Maintenance Department Knowledge center.
Engineering and Technical knowledge of
• European origin Injection and Blow Moulding equipment PLC programming
• Equipment Software’s Robotic control systems Pneumatic and Hydraulic systems VFD,
• Chillers, Air compressors, Electrical (HT & LT)
• Mould design and applications.
• PM module with any ERP based system (SAP R3 is advantageous)
• Plastics manufacturing processes
• Sound experience in Lean / Six Sigma manufacturing environment
• Strong leadership and excellent communication skills
• Thorough knowledge in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point both as a working and reporting tool.
• Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and comfort with continually adapting plans
• ISO 22000: HACCP, Kaizen and Quality systems (ISO, CMMI, etc.)
• PMP, Lean/Six Sigma Certification (Black Belt is an advantage)
• Working knowledge in ERP systems (SAP knowledge is an added advantage)
• Foundational Course in Mechanical AutoCAD 2000i
• Certified Automation Engineer (PLC, SCADA & HMI)
• Competence in MS Office Suite, Internet Applications, AutoCAD, MFG-PRO etc.
• Equipment Engineering, Technical, Preventive, Breakdown, Predictive and Spare Parts management.
• Installation / Erection & Commissioning of new/up gradating projects.
• Continuous Improvement programs.
• Health and Safety Management.
• Maintenance of moulds & tools.
• Energy Conservation Management.
• Clear focused on high quality and business profit.
• Compliance, process development and improvement.
• Good Analytical Skills, innovation, combined with an understanding of new technologies and cutting-edge methods in the plastics and packaging field.
• Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy.
• Ownership and Continuous Improvement
• A collaborative spirit.