Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Finance, Commerce, Economics, or any related fields.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 7 years
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya and Tanzania and is part of the Hand in Hand global network. The organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and is currently operating in 25 Field offices within 34 out of 47 Counties in Kenya. HiH EA has so far mobilized, trained and is training over 354,858 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created over 334,179 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and over 452,272 jobs on the Kenyan Programme.
The organization works with marginalized communities in the areas of economic and social empowerment using a participatory approach aimed at helping people fight poverty and vulnerability. The Hand in Hand enterprise and job creation approach is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable people living in poverty, particularly women, to build and sustain independent, market-based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to greater food security, better education for children, increased access to healthcare, improved housing and overall improved livelihoods.
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa seeks to fill the below vacancy.
SUMMARY ASSISTANT HUMAN RESOURCE & ADMINISTRATION MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION AND SPECIFICATIONS. REF.NO: HEA AHR&AM -01/2023
Reporting up to the Head of HR and Administration the Asst. HR & Administration Manager will support the day-to-day operations of the Human Resource Department. The Asst. HR & Administration Manager will be accountable for performing and managing a wide range of HR duties including, but not limited to, tasks in the following functional areas: recruitment, compliance, record keeping, compensation, benefits, payroll and administration.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the all insured schemes and ensure computation of premiums for all insured benefits is accurate, and settled in a timely manager.
- Ensure job descriptions are in the HiH EA format and dully signed and filled.
- Manage employee benefits in compliance with labor law.
- Work closely with management to coordinate the Performance Management process in compliance with policy; including distribution and collection of documents, scheduling meetings, tracking, and reviewing forms as they are received.
- Manage employee leaves responding to requests for leave balances, advising staff on the procedures for taking leave, following up on required documentation for taking leave or returning from leave, maintaining an accurate record of all leave, ensuring the leave trackers are updated monthly and ensuring leave carry over balances are communicated at the end of each calendar year.
- Prepare the monthly Payroll inputs for review by drafting a memo that documents all the employee changes in the month (new hires, terminations, change of bank details, suspensions etc) with appropriate documentation (contract amendments etc).
- Ensure documentation for all actions are in the personnel files.
- Prepare and submit to the payroll team final pay statement for exiting staff ensuring accuracy and compliance with policy.
- Ensure compliance with Kenya labour laws and regulations, statutory requirements, and internal human resource policies and procedures.
- Update and comply with statutory regulatory requirements as set out by HELB, NEA, DOSH etc just to name a few.
- Conduct regular surveys to address knowledge and skill gaps and deficiencies through reasonable recommendations for training.
- Perform exit interviews, off boarding and documentation with reference to the exit processes.
- Respond to employee relations issues including issues of misconduct and performance issues.
- Partner with management and escalate issues as necessary to the Head of HR & Administration.
- Prepare internal communications regarding HR issues such as amendments to the employee handbook, end/beginning year activities, performance review processes, internal job opportunities, benefits and new policies.
- Develop and deliver training to staff on new policies and activities as needed.
- Manage the force planning process maintain adequate staffing in accordance with approved establishment.
- Coordinate the recruitment process, which includes management of the sourcing, interview and selection of candidates.
- Ensure timely execution of staff contracts including probation, confirmation, renewal etc.
- Maintain a robust and effective Human Resources database of potential talent for recruitment.
- Ensure effective orientation/induction and on boarding process for new employees.
- Maintain an updated and relevant database for potential candidates to be considered for recruitment for easy access and retrieval whenever positions fall vacant.
- Proactively reach out to good and potential candidates and interest them in working for HiH EA within approved recruitment and selection policies.
- Lead in workforce planning and maintain adequate staffing in accordance with approved establishment.
- Develop appropriate orientation/induction and on boarding process for new employees.
- Establish talent management strategies to ensure HIHEA has an updated for potential candidates to be considered for recruitment whenever positions fall vacant.
- Ensure exit interviews are carried out and through this and other means, highlight staff issues and bring recommendations to help manage staff turnover.
- Regularly collect HR data analyses and report as needed.
- Maintain accurate and complete personnel files, updating checklist and HR data as necessary.
- Track employee probation periods, advising managers of upcoming probation end dates, ensuring probation evaluation forms are complete and maintaining confidentiality of employee personal data.
- Ensure HiH EA maintains adequate documentation for human resource processes.
- Maintain a robust and effective Human Resources database.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of an effective performance management system.
- Coordinate the annual staff performance appraisal process.
- Carry out periodic staff development and training needs assessment and arrange for appropriate intervention strategies.
- Plan and direct employee development and training programmes including an annual training and development plan for all key staff.
- Develop career development and succession plans for all supervised staff.
- Ensure effective management of industrial relations matters including grievance handling, disciplinary procedures, and employee related legal issues, as well as conciliation/arbitration processes, and cases in the Labour Relations Court.
- Ensure timely resolution of conflicts and disputes among staff and departments/units/teams.
- Facilitate effective communication to employees on human resource issues.
- Conduct regular field visits to site offices to monitor and review human resource and administration and use such opportunity to have appreciation of work environment and general staff issues.
- Promote team building and camaraderie through staff meetings, workshops, and off-site team building activities.
- Keep abreast with labour developments in Kenya and globally, and their implications on the organization.
- Convene and coordinate general staff meetings as prescribed.
- Ensure effective supervision of staff in the function including coaching and mentoring, development, performance management, and timely handling of grievance and disciplinary issues.
- Proactively employ practices that lead to staff motivation and retention, and provide for succession plans.
- Proactively mentor and support team members as a way of building a pipeline of talent in the organization.
- Ensure annual appraisal for staff in the function.
- Ensure that the organization maintains a safe, secure and healthy working environment to cater for employee’s wellbeing.
- Coordinate all aspects of staff and general security, safety and health at all workplace environments.
- Develop and implement appropriate staff welfare schemes that respond to employees’ wellbeing including team building, retreats, holiday celebrations, anniversaries etc.
- Manage staff welfare programs including work related counseling, stress management, and promotion of staff work-life balance.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Finance, Commerce, Economics, or any related fields.
- At least 7 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Certified Human Resources professional CHRP (K).
- Registered and active member of IHRM.
- Good understanding and application of employment legislation and practices in the Region (more specifically in Kenya and Tanzania).
- Demonstrated people management skills including resolution of conflicts (grievance and disciplinary).
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to promote and manage diversity in the workplace, respectful and tolerant, and able to gain the trust and respect of staff at all levels.
- Strong team player with very good planning and organizational skills, self-drive, and ability to take initiative in work area.
- Basic counseling, negotiation and mediation skills, and ability to promote confidentiality and integrity.
- Strong communication and report writing skills.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing professional development, performance management and employee engagement initiatives.
- Flexible, resilient, self-controlled, and able to work and deliver under pressure, while under minimum supervision.
- Good ICT skills including good working knowledge with Ms Office suite and human resource and other management systems/proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and HRMS.
Qualified and interested candidates should forward a cover letter and CV, citing the Position and Reference Number to HiH-EA via the below link on or before close of business by 17th November,2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.