Position Start: ASAP
Contract Types: Full-time
We are hiring for a dynamic individual who will have a key position in M-KOPA Strategy and Data team. The Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst uses M-KOPA’s strong internal data resources to uncover and share insights and inform business decisions throughout the company. The Analyst combines technical skills, creativity, and business acumen to improve our understanding of the company, produce operational improvements, and increase transparency and accountability. Analytic findings and recommendations are communicated clearly and concisely to the business, with follow-on support to ensure the proper measurement and evaluation.
• Lead analytics for a specific function of the business (i.e. Sales, Upgrades, Customer Care, Credit)
• Proactively identify opportunities where analysis can drive valuable business results
• Collect user requirements on key analytic/reporting needs from key business stakeholders
• Query data from various internal and external databases using database languages (e.g., SQL, U-SQL)
• Clean, interpret, and analyze data using statistical techniques
• Build models, analysis, and transformations on internal data using Excel, SQL and R
• Test and QA code to ensure high-quality analysis
• Design user-friendly, clear, and impactful presentations of analytic findings
• Improve and streamline technical and business processes
• Train stakeholders throughout the business to improve data fluency
• Work together with the business to ensure we are enabling data-driven decision making on the most important business questions
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• 2+ years’ experience working in technical data analytics, with excellent skills in SQL and preferred skills in advanced analytical, statistical, and/or programming skills, including R, Python, DAX, Excel, and data visualization tools (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau)
• Career passion and if possible, education background preferred in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics or related field
• Strong preference for candidates based in or with strong experience working in the markets M-KOPA works in or similar markets
• Preference for candidates who have worked directly delivering data driven insights and analysis from Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning data science models
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work and equal ability to influence executives across cross-functions and geographies
• Experience and a high capacity in managing multiple problems and assignments at the same time and delivering high quality outputs
• In-depth knowledge of business effectiveness tools
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Kampala, Dar Es Salaam, Lagos, London, and Hong-Kong, is the global pioneer and leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 950,000 homes in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania to solar power, and is now adding over 600 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for US $0.50-$1.00, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 20,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet and allows for unique data driven insights into M-KOPA’s customers, products and the Pay-As-You-Go business model.
As of June 2020, M-KOPA employs over 950 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 3,500 direct sales agents. It has a rapidly expanding range of innovative products that help upgrade people’s lives and is also expanding into other high-potential new markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably being selected as Forbes magazines top 50 companies changing the world, winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards, earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award, and named “The Smartest Company in Africa” by MIT’s 2017 list of the Worlds 50 Smartest Companies.
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role with the subject Business Intelligence Analyst
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.