ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
One Acre Fund is bolstering its Agroforestry work with payments for ecosystem services, especially the development and sale of verified carbon emissions reductions. We believe that helping smallholders participate in carbon markets represents an opportunity for advancing climate justice by increasing smallholder profitability and resilience, and for contributing to climate change mitigation.
We are looking for an entrepreneur with experience in the fields of Agroforestry and Carbon Emissions Reductions to lead our nature-based carbon projects. You will manage all aspects of our carbon work, including the participatory design of carbon projects, guiding field teams in the design and implementation of our CER pilots, developing robust monitoring and verification processes, managing carbon project certification, and supporting CER financing and sales.
This position is in the Global Impact division and will report to the Global Agroforestry Director.
Carbon Program Design. Design carbon projects that boost farmer prosperity and mitigate climate change
- With smallholders and local community members, use participatory methods to co-design carbon projects that stand up to rigorous certification standards.
- Work with partners to build One Acre Fund's multi-year strategy and actionable plans for operations.
- Identify and support the introduction (or new development) of technology that dramatically improves smallholder access to carbon markets.
Carbon Project Implementation
- Lead the implementation of carbon work across the organization.
- Develop carbon project design documents for approval by established standards.
- Line up technical support resources for field teams to ensure that project implementation, monitoring, and verification meet certification requirements.
- Work with our Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to build a world-class MRV system for CER verification.
External engagement, project financing, and sales.
- Support One Acre Fund's work in building relationships with global buyers and financing partners to stand up and sell certified carbon projects.
- Develop partnerships with project developers, carbon certification standards, and technical partners in all of the above responsibilities.
- Contribute to advocacy work that improves access to carbon markets for smallholder farmers.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 3+ years experience leading nature-based carbon projects, including implementation and certification.
- Proven ability to lead complex projects and manage successful teams.
- History of collaboration with primary actors in the carbon sector, including implementers, technical advisors, and certification standards.
- Familiarity with carbon emissions reductions verification methodologies and standards.
- Experience implementing projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Cross cultural competence and ability to work with diverse teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication across a wide range of audiences.
- English Fluency. Other preferred languages include Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Chichewa, Amharic, or French.
- Travel within the region up to 30% of the time.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Kigali, Rwanda, with substantial travel time (other locations in Eastern and Southern Africa are possible)
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred.
21 December 2021
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.