Safari Centres are a new type of retail and customer experience. Located on busy highways and in dense sub-urban environments, they offer an accessible and attractive environment for convenience shopping and for highway stop-overs. The owners intend to develop a chain of Safari Centres across Kenya such that it will become a household name synonymous with high standards of design, service and efficiency.
The owners have also developed, and will be trialing at Naivasha, an innovative pay-to-use bathrooms concept branded ‘Loo4U’ which has the potential to be rolled out across Kenya as an alternative to the current poor quality public toilet provision available in most malls and city centres.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Directors
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Maintenance Officer
PLACE OF WORK
The intention is that the successful candidate will be based in Naivasha and will oversee the successful start up and operation of the first Safari Centre as well as the Loo4U concept. It is possible that the employee may be requested to relocate to other centres or to an eventual head office as the company expands, subject to a review of terms and payment of reasonable expenses for such relocation.
To make Safari Centre Naivasha the best place to stop, eat, shop and have fun on the Nairobi-Nakuru highway and to maintain the centre as the go-to shopping destination for the Lake Naivasha basin.
Responsible for the management of the Mall and related services. Ensure investment growth and maximum income of Property through effective property management, marketing and asset control. Develops related budgets, oversees leasing contracts, procures services, handles third party service contracts, and directs maintenance procedures. Ensures that all buildings, grounds, and equipment are well maintained and in optimal working condition. Develops and implements procurements policies and procedures and ensures that all operations are in accordance with established health and safety regulations. Ensures that services purchased are of acceptable quality at the least possible cost. Ensures that Service charge collections are up to date.
Keeps the owners well informed of area activities and significant problems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Assumes responsibility for the effective operations management of Property and facilities.
a. General Property Management & Marketing
• Review visitor numbers, constantly monitoring the impact of marketing initiatives and tenant-sponsored events
• Work closely with the marketing agency to devise and oversee marketing strategies and events designed to enhance visitor numbers and tenant turnover
• Create a close and collaborative working relationship with the tenants, coordinating activity with them to ensure maximum turnover for the centre
• Oversee Loo4U and make sure that the toilets and bathrooms offer clean, secure and attractive environment in order to maximise footfall and revenues
• Keep abreast of market activities in respect of tenant movement, new developments, major vacancies and other landlord’s strategies
b. Asset Management
• Control/schedule/implement regular preventative maintenance program in line with budget constraints
• Proposing refurbishments and/or major repairs as appropriate
• Attend site meetings with contractors in respect of maintenance/expansion of projects
• Monitor progress of any works
• Inspection / enforcement of tenant responsibilities during and on termination of lease terms
• Liaison with appropriate Government, Provincial and/or local authorities
• Responsible for Compliance of OSHA Act
c. Client Reporting
• Provide accurate information to client according to agreed format timeously
• Analysis of monthly income /expenses
• Monitoring of turnovers, service Charges and rentals
• Analysis of operating costs on a quarterly basis in terms of the approved forecasts
• Monitoring of all municipal recoveries (and general recoveries) on a monthly basis
d. Planning And Budgeting
• Preparation and completion of budgets by January each year
• Completion of forecasts timeously
• Review rental/Service Charge quarterly and ensure best possible rate achieved and maintained
• Assist in formulation of business plans for the unit
• 5 Year budget – preparation and control
• Quarterly review and monitoring results
e. Quarterly Expenditure / Analysis
• Set and motivate capex /TI philosophy per building in consultation with client
• Approve TI standard specification as recommended by the Project Manager
• Approve capex within authority limits
• Ensure we conform to capex philosophy and procedures
• Estimate new operating costs
• Ensure recovery of operational costs in accordance with Lease terms
f. Building Management
• Devise a five year maintenance plan including allowances for provisions or depreciation where applicable (annually) for submission to the Chair –Management Commitee
• Investigate/initiate proposals for refurbishments
• Maintain a hands-on control of projects in hand
• Review the building status/grade annually and maintain the standards within those grade
• Ensures compliance with legal, NEMA and planning regulations.
• Completes regular OSHA inspections and updates monthly reports as appropriate. Ensures that OSHA requirements are effectively implemented.
g. Debtors Management
• Monthly interaction meetings with Debtors, Debtors Manager and Leasing to ensure appropriate action is taken and approve legal action.
h. Credit Control
• Responsible for Management:
- Legal action
i. Parking Management
• Ensure that the parking area is secure and well-maintained and sufficient in size to meet customer demand
• Monitor traffic flows and visitor numbers
j. Tenant Manager
• Deal with correspondence / interaction with tenants as required.
• Ensure that leases are timeously renewed and all vacant space is let and in a presentable state.
k. New Tenants
• Determination and recommendation of letting mandates (i.e. rental levels, installation cost etc)
• Lease negotiation and maintenance of tenant relationships.
• Control of new leases and recording of the same
• Control / oversee new installations (through technical manager where appropriate) including:
- Premises design
- Negotiation/liaison/control with/of professionals and contractors
- Sign off acceptance of complete premise
l. Existing Tenants
• Renewal of Lease Agreement both direct and through Building Management where applicable
• Tenant liaison and public relations
• Control/arrangement of centre promotions through merchants association/s or promotion committee/s
• Regular assessment of tenants turnover, stock turn and merchandising to establish both growth needs and/or trading difficulties
m. Expense Control
• Check and authorise payment of accounts
• Authorise cleaning, consumables, electrical and general maintenance orders
• Control wage and salary allocation
• Control municipal payments and recoveries there against
• Ensuring cost effectiveness and performance of contractors
2. Assumes responsibility for the effective maintenance and reporting of financial records.
a. Oversees preparation of monthly, annual, and other management reports.
b. Assesses and reports on monthly performance against budgets.
c. Prepares and motivates consolidated monthly reports for submission to client
d. Any other duty assigned by Mall Management from time to time
3. Assumes responsibility for ensuring professional business relations with vendors, contractors, and trade professionals and also with relevant national and local government authorities
a. Works to develop and maintain productive business relations with vendors, suppliers, contractors, etc.
b. Acts as a liaison between the Company and external contacts.
c. Ensures effective coordination of external services with Company operations.
d. Obtains and conveys information as appropriate.
e. Promotes goodwill and a positive image of the Company.
f. Manage reationships with the local authority, with KeNHA, NEMA and all other relevant government bodies.
4. Effectively supervises Property personnel, ensuring optimal performance.
a. Provides leadership to assigned personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication. Conducts regular meetings to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in policies and procedures. Discusses areas needing improvement.
b. Assigns and coordinates personnel. Directs daily operations.
c. Identifies, develops, and implements training programs as appropriate.
d. Conducts performance appraisals. Provides measurable feedback to assigned personnel and suggestions for improved performance. Formulates and implements employee corrective actions as needed.
e. Ensures that staffing levels are appropriate. Interviews, hires, and assigns personnel as necessary.
5. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
a. Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
b. Completes special projects as assigned.
c. Reports on Operational expenses, foot traffic, security incidents etc.
1. Customers are delighted by the visitor experience, continually maintaining positive reviews of the centre.
2. Good communication and coordination exists with tenants, owners and other key stakeholders..
3. Ensuring that the owners are appropriately informed of relevant activities and of any significant problems.
4. On-site staff are well trained, effective, and efficient. Appropriate supervision and assistance are provided.
5. Buildings are well maintained and secure and meets the needs of the Company and Tenants
6. Property operations are efficiently and cost effectively administered.
7. Current and future Property needs are well planned and budgets are established and maintained.
8. Effective business relations exist with vendors, contractors, and trade professionals.
• College Graduate.
• Additional related maintenance and Property management training preferred.
• Excellent understanding of Property management procedures.
• Knowledge of budgeting, service contracts, and leasing agreements.
• Two or three years of related experience, with at least one year of supervisory experience.
• Excellent leadership abilities.
• Able to organize, coordinate, and direct team activities.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Good communications skills.
• Able to use all related maintenance equipment and computer applications.