REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
International Institute for Legislative Affairs (IILA) is a not for profit organization that works with Policymakers, Government Departments, Members of Parliament, and other stakeholders to draft and lobby for pro-people legislation and policies. We are an evangelical Christian organization rooted in the biblical conviction that all people are created in the image of God and owe their being to God.
Specifically, we espouse the following beliefs:
That God is a God of justice, fairness and righteousness and being the creator of the earth desires to see His justice, righteousness and fairness in the society that we live in.
That we as God’s children and followers are Christ’s ambassadors in mediating his justice, fairness and righteousness, and our chosen vehicle is through the laws and policies that govern the society that we live in. That we seek to influence the laws and policies that govern our society so as to result in God’s justice, fairness and righteousness in the following ways:
Our motivation – to see that God’s justice, fairness and righteousness prevails even when that is not popular or expedient or attractive to funding partners, with a view to impacting people and society. Because of our faith, we do what we do as part of God’s mission. Our work is not just a job or employment, it is the way we make a difference, it is the way we serve God. Christ’s love compels us and his grace sustains us
Our methods/means – We work in and with God. Our faith determines what issues we can advocate for and is part of our strategic filter; our values are based on our faith in God.
We look at our board members, our staff, our stakeholders and our beneficiaries the way Christ sees them – as precious, as needing and worthy of redemption, as being capable of doing more and doing better;
That therefore our work is people-centered and aims to capacitate them to achieve their God-given potential; that we have therefore adopted a discipleship/ apprenticeship model where we run an internship program and also employ young/ entry point professionals and through exposure and mentoring build their capacity,
That through regular reflection on God’s word and prayer at the individual and corporate level we ensure our work retains its Godly focus and our lives their godly character – we are accountable not just to our stakeholders but ultimately to God. We do not just identify problems, we also offer solutions and we complete what we start.
Our relationships with our staff, our beneficiaries and stakeholders are based on honesty, integrity, hard work, teamwork and professionalism
Our ends – our work has eternal value, because it changes society’s legal structures, institutions, laws and policies and people’s lives for the better in line with God’s justice, fairness and righteousness. Our ultimate aim is for God to get the glory.
IILA seeks the recruitment of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is a Kenyan citizen to plan, manage and direct the operations of the organization in a manner that ensures delivery of the organisation's mandate and the achievement of set goals, whilst complying with the highest standards of integrity, accountability and ethical standards.
Reporting to the Board of Directors (BoD), the CEO will provide strategic leadership to IILA and will lead the organization in executing its strategic plan and meeting operational goals. S/he will also develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders including funders, civil society, the private sector, government and media.
- Facilitate and lead the development and implementation of the organisation’s strategic plans with the full involvement/participation of the Board and the Staff of IILA.
- Work/consult with the Board on policy issues pertaining to the smooth and effective running of the organisation and provide feedback to the staff.
- Organise and co-ordinate the overall operations of the organisation including financial, assets and staff management, and report to the Board as and when required.
- Prepare various reports necessary for the successful management of IILA and the fulfillment of IILA’s mission, and ensure their timely submission to the BoD and other key stakeholders
- Assist the BoD to organise annual general meetings and represent IILA in external fora as directed by the BoD
- Enforce adherence to IILA policies and procedures as well as ensure compliance to contracts with partner organisations and adherence to the IILA’s standards of accountability.
Business Development and Resource Mobilization
- Lead in resource mobilization, establishing, nurturing and managing donor and stakeholder relations and marketing the organisation’s image and role in the national, regional and international network of organisations. Take an active role in building and strengthening relationships with funders.
- Working closely with the Finance HR and Administration Officer to oversee the planning, implementation, administration and evaluation of all financial systems and activities, including planning, budgeting, reporting, controls and auditing.
- Oversee the development and implementation of efficient systems that support the effective use of project resources and ensure audits are conducted on an annual basis.
- Lead, motivate and manage the management team consisting of the Programmes Coordinator and Finance, HR and Administration Officer.
- Manage, develop and appraise staff and ensure that the IILA culture and staff behaviour reflects IILA’s core values and ethical behaviour and integrity.
- Ensure accountability for IILA staff activities, foster effective communication among staff and manage relations between staff and the Board of Directors
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of project proposals, work plans and budgets for the organisation and ensure that these are in line with the organisation's strategic plan and mandate.
- Promote IILA programmes to target clients e.g. NGOs, Business Associations and Government Departments. Give presentations to local and international stakeholders and audiences on legislative, access to justice governance and corruption issues.
- Develop, coordinate and implement anti-corruption campaigns by all legal means possible through virtual platforms, mainstream media, road shows, public meetings and via collaboration with like minded organisations.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS EXPERIENCE
- Education level of a masters degree preferably in Law, Economics or Public Policy and/or with 7-10 years experience in policy research, analysis and policy advocacy
- Extensive experience in managing organisations and/or programs/projects
- Experience or qualification in public administration, development and/or human rights
- Familiarity with media, public communications and campaigning work.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant working experience at supervisory level
- Knowledge of policy, governance, access to justice, accountability and development issues
- Must be a team player and be able to work with minimal or no supervision
- Experience in working with policy makers
- Strategic planning skills
- Understanding of the legislative processes in Kenya
- Business development skills
- Financial planning & management skills
- Relationship building and maintenance skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Problem solving & decision-making skills
- Performance standard setting & monitoring skills
- Good analytical and presentation skills
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and e-mail
- Proven ability to raise funds
Remuneration will be according to IILA salary scale and policies.
How to apply
Closing date for receipt of application is close of business August 14th, 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by August 28th, 2020 for an interview.
Interested candidates who satisfy the above requirements should send their application consisting of a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to:
The Chairman, International Institute for Legislative Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject “APPLICATION FOR CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER” OR delivered to Kush Office, Suite No. 4, 91, Rhapta Road (Corner of Rhapta & Church Road), Westlands, Nairobi Kenya