Purpose of Role
Plan, organize, develop and direct the overall operation of the Nursing Services department in accordance with the standards, guidelines and regulations that govern Nursing as well as the hospitals policies and as maybe directed by the Medical Superintendent, to ensure that the highest degree of quality Nursing care is maintained at all times.
Reports To: Director Clinical Services
Supervises: Outpatient Manager, Inpatient Manager and Quality Assurance Manager
KEY AREA RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop, maintain and periodically update:
• Written policies and procedures that govern the day-to-day functions of the nursing service department.
• Nursing Services Procedures manual, and nursing service objectives and philosophies.
• Written job descriptions for each level of nursing personnel.
• Written procedures for the Discharge Planning Program.
• Develop methods for coordination of nursing services with other patient services to ensure continuity of the patients’ total regimen.
• Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies etc.
• Develop, implement and maintain an ongoing quality assurance program for the nursing service department.
• Develop and implementation a nursing service organization structure.
• Ensure and monitor adequacy of laboratory services.
Human Resource management
• Determine the staffing needs of the Nursing Services Department necessary to meet the total nursing needs of the patient.
• Recommend the number and level of nursing personnel to be employed.
• Assist HR in the recruitment and selection of nursing services staff.
• Schedule duty hours and assign sufficient number of nursing staff for each shift to ensure that routine care is provided to meet the daily nursing needs of each patient.
• Delegate to nurses in charge the administrative authority, responsibility and accountability to perform their assigned duties.
• Make rounds of the nursing services department to ensure that all nursing staff are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
• Liaise with the Preceptor nurse to plan, conduct and schedule in-service training for nursing students from the School.
• Participate in new employee orientation as required by facility protocol.
• Assessment through Performance Appraisals.
• Review complaints and grievances made or filed by department staff.
• Provide the Medical Superintendent with information relative to the nursing needs of patients and the nursing services department’s ability to meet those needs.
• Make rounds with physicians as necessary and review nurse’s notes to ensure that they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided and that they reflect the patient’s response to the care.
• Schedule daily rounds to observe patients and determine if nursing needs are being met.
Care plan and assessment
• Assist in the scheduling of care plans and assessments to be presented and discussed at each committee meeting as needed.
• Review and revise care plans and assessments as necessary, but at least quarterly.
Safety and sanitation
• Assist Infection Control in the development, implementation and revising of written aseptic and isolation techniques.
• Liaise with the Quality Control nurse to ensure that all nursing staff follow established departmental policies and procedures.
• Ensure that all nursing staff participate in and conduct fire safety and disaster preparedness drills in a safe and professional manner.
Equipment and supplies
• Recommend to the Medical Superintendent the equipment and supply needs of the department.
• Ensure appropriate stock levels of equipment and supplies are maintained on premises at all times to adequately meet the needs of the patients.
• Prepare a preventative maintenance program for maintaining the departments’ equipment and supplies in a safe and operable manner.
• Develop and implement procedures for the safe operation of all nursing service equipment.
• Develop and implement procedures that ensure nursing services supplies are used in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
• Prepare and plan the department’s budget to be reviewed by the Medical Superintendent for recommendations and/or approval.
• Maintain the confidentiality of all patient care information.
• Monitor nursing care to ensure all patients are treated fairly, with kindness, dignity and respect.
• Ensure that all nursing staff are knowledgeable of the patients’ rights and responsibilities.
• Review complaints and grievances made by patients, follow up resolution and give a report to the Medical Superintendent.
• Must possess, as a minimum, a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from an accredited institution.
• Degree in Nursing/Psychological Counseling or Public Health;
• Registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya
• CC Management
• Served in the grade of supervisor or Senior Nursing Officer for a minimum period of five (5) years in a large institution;
• Demonstrated competence and capability in work performance.
• Attended Senior Management Course
Skills & competencies required:
• Ability to make independent decisions when required.
• Ability to deal tactfully with staff, patients, family members, visitors and the general public.
• Knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to skilled nursing care.
• Ability to function in a multidisciplinary team and to provide leadership within the team.
• High level of communication skills and a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm and the willingness to handle difficult situation/patients.
• Commitment to improving standards and quality of nursing practices.
• Attends and participates in continuing educational programs
• Sound mental and physical health.
Applicants who meet the requirements stated above should send their applications and detailed CVs with a day – time Telephone number with Chief Nursing Officer on the Subject line. Candidates MUST indicate their Current and Expected salaries.