Key Measures of Performance
The performance of this role holder will be assessed on the basis of the achievements made on:
• Turnaround time of investigations and actions taken
• Response time in the event of incidences/accidents within the organisation
• First time-fix rate of all incidences
• Number of repeat incidences reported
Security and Safety Management
• Direct the administration and operation of the security unit in the protection of the establishment's property.
• Develop and review the operating procedures in the security unit in response to changing circumstances.
• Recommend changes in the Standard operating procedures to reflect better protective/secure or safe methods.
• Daily patrol of the establishment's environment.
• Report to relevant parties on security matters.
• Detect and prevent crime within the establishment.
• Ensure maintenance of safety standards.
• Maintain duty roaster for tracking and delegation purposes.
• Alert the Management on security alerts.
• Consult with the General Manager on all matters that may threaten the security of the establishment and safety of all stakeholders.
• Handle all cases concerning loss or damage of the organisation and other relevant stakeholders.
• Investigate cases and reports to the General Manager and when directed, reports to the police and any other law enforcement agents.
• Procure warrants against any employee or member defrauding the organisation or stealing from it.
• Represent the establishment in court procedures.
• Keep in close liaison with the local Police on matters of vice, theft and any special security requirements for unusual events and functions.
• Responsible for all safety and accident prevention programs. This includes recording and investigating of employee’s accidents and workmen compensation cases.
• Carry out periodical inspections on the establishment’s perimeter fence to ensure its intactness and sealing off any break- ins to deter intruders.
• Ensure safe passage of all stakeholders maintaining a comprehensive control system at entry and exit points.
• Maintain the necessary security records at all times.
• Pursue conclusively all compensation/ replacements either by the establishment's insurers or hired security firms.
Interaction with External Security Services
• Assist in the procurement of security service providers
• Manage the control of external security services
• Carry out training of security guards to ensure high level vigilance and customer service.
• Review daily reports from the outsourced security guards on duty and issues necessary orders to counteract any unsatisfactory or irregular conditions or situations.
• Ensure all security staff keep abreast with security news.
• Arrange duty rosters and the outsourced security details including deployment of guards as necessary.
• Supervision & Relationship management
• Assist to ensure that the security guards are competent and well-motivated.
• Advise the management of any unusual behavior in any employee, member or guests.
• Ensure staff are aware of organisation's policy, procedures and standards with regard to security.
• Assist in conducting regular training for the security guards.
• Develop procedures to ensure physical safety of all stakeholders.
• Assist in the vetting of all newly recruited staff, caddies and casuals when necessary.
• Continuous professional development to keep up with current industry trends.
• Prepare periodic reports from time to time as directed.
• Customer service oriented.
• Attention to detail.
• Effective communicator
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to make independent decisions
• Ability to stand for long periods of time sometimes in excess of eight hours
• Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions depending on the assignment
• Confidential and reliable
• Recognizes and resolves problems quickly and efficiently
• Work in a team environment
Academic and Professional Qualifications
• Degree in Criminology/Security Management
• Diploma in Security Management or any related field
• Certificate in Microsoft Office
• 6 years’ cumulative experience with at least 3years as a Senior Security Officer in a high level security detail organisation preferably in the hospitality industry, or 4 years as a military police officer
• Must have experience in strategic security, forensics and people management
• Thorough knowledge in criminal and civil law and Kenyan Police procedures as they relate to security
• In depth knowledge of security systems, both electronic and physical