COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT OFFICER – READVERTISEMENT.
Mukutan Conservancy (formerly Laikipia Nature Conservancy, Ol Ari Nyiro).
Contract Duration: 1 year renewable.
All Conservancy Staff, Conservancy Community Committee, Community Groups, Community Schools and Healthcare Establishments, Project Community Centre Staff, Local Government Administration and other relevant partners.
Mukutan Conservancy (formerly Laikipia Nature Conservancy, Ol Ari Nyiro), is located on the Western Laikipia plateau, overlooking the Great Rift Valley. It has a rich diversity of indigenous plants and wildlife. It neighbours pastoral and farming communities who interact with the conservancy through sharing of common natural resources, mainly water and pasture. The Conservancy’s mission is to be the leading example of a values-based organisation, working with communities to conserve its landscape of unique flora and fauna by reconnecting nature, culture and wellbeing, and building social enterprises. Among its five priority strategic objectives for the period 2020-2030 includes: Working in partnership with local communities to manage shared natural resources and enable prosperous lives.
Mukutan Conservancy is seeking to recruit a Community Engagement Officer who is passionate and experienced in community engagement of diverse pastoralist communities of different ethnicities. The ideal candidate will provide support in strengthening community partnership engagement and development of a community strategy. The strategy will cultivate joint working responsibility and ownership in conserving shared natural resources to safeguard the local farmers and pastoral livelihoods, as well as the biodiversity of the conservancy.
1. Community Support and Stakeholders Engagement.
• Supporting community and stakeholder dialogue to cultivate partnerships in management and sharing of common natural resources, which includes grazing and water, to promote joint working in conservation and livelihood development.
• Development and effective implementation of tools to monitor and evaluate impact of community engagement strategies.
• Supporting the delivery of all necessary livelihoods and social baselines to inform, design and develop a Community Development Programme for Mukutan Conservancy.
• Undertake stakeholder mapping to identify and engage key government and non-government partners to support community initiatives being implemented by Mukutan Conservancy.
• Working closely with the Senior Management to develop an effective grazing plan for the pastoralist communities neighbouring the Conservancy.
• Managing the administration of the Mukutan Community Conservancy Committee by scheduling and organizing meetings, taking minutes and maintaining records of the same.
• Facilitating conflict resolution between different communities, conservancy and communities should the need arise.
2. Data management
• Ensuring the collection, documentation and dissemination of timely and accurate data on community engagement to the line manager.
• Design tools to monitor, evaluate, and disseminate impact of Mukutan Conservancy community projects. 3. Community Strategy Formulation.
• Actively participate in the development of Mukutan Conservancy community strategy using participatory approaches.
• Organize stakeholder meetings to support development and review of the community strategy.
3. Capacity Building
● Carry out capacity assessments and identify training needs for communities, develop and implement a training plan for selected community groups on topics such as: biodiversity conservation and nature based livelihood and enterprise development.
4. Reporting and Documentation
● Preparing and sending regular progress reports of all community engagement activities to management.
● Maintaining a database of all activities relating to the project.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
1. Bachelors’ Degree in Rangeland Management, and Natural Resources Management is highly desirable.
2. Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience with keen exposure in community engagement with a conservation institution.
3. Demonstrated experience and ability in working with pastoral, agro-pastoral and farming communities with exposure to remote areas.
4. Experience in social surveys and use of data to inform community engagement actions.
5. Demonstrated experience working with multiple stakeholders with conflicting interests.
6. Demonstrated 5 years experience in conflict resolution is highly desirable.
7. Must be aged between 35 years to 45 years.
Personal skills and attributes required
1. Strong work ethics with familiarity of pastoralist communities’ lifestyle.
2. Exceptional planning and organization skills.
3. Demonstrated communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili.
4. Analytical and report writing skills.
5. Good IT skills with a working knowledge of MS Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and digital applications.
6. Positive attitude towards community service with emphasis on conflict resolution.
7. Knowledge in design and implementation of Monitoring and evaluation tools.
8. Ability to work in multicultural settings.
9. Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to take on initiatives with minimal supervision.
A starting gross salary of Kshs. 150,000 per month will be offered to the successful candidate commensurate with experience and qualifications. Being a resident position, accommodation is offered at the staff quarters.
How to apply
Mukutan Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity hence interested candidates who meet the job requirements should send their applications and current CV including 3 references and salary expectation with the Email Subject as “Application for Community Engagement Officer.” Only candidates who meet the job requirements will be shortlisted and contacted for an interview. All applications must be received by 31st October 2021. Should you not hear from us two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
N/B: Those who had earlier applied need not to reapply.