Reporting to: Legal & Compliance Manager
Core Hours: Working houses: 8:30 - 17:30, Monday- Friday and beyond as needed
Location: Location: Nairobi with eventual deployment to different county
Our Client is a market leader in unsecured working capital solutions with a significant presence across multiple African countries. We empower micro and small businesses in Sub-Saharan Africa to grow and succeed by providing instant access to credit that unlocks business growth. Our products blend business credit with financial education to maximize the credit’s impact for business owners, and all are managed and delivered through our proprietary core banking platform.
Company Purpose: To Unlock Human Potential for Good
Company Mission: To Grow Business with Capital and Knowledge
Company Vision: The first choice for MSME growth in Africa
Purpose of the position
To ensure Our Client is compliant with relevant legislation and regulation in the countries in which we operate.
The Compliance Officer will be part of the growing Our Client Compliance Team which is currently comprised of The Group Global Chief Compliance Officer, Legal & Compliance Manger, Internal Auditors and Investigations Officers.
Under the direction of the Legal & Compliance Manager, the Compliance Officer will contribute to the Team’s efforts in meeting the goals and objectives of the Department. This will include activities related to policy management, such as maintaining a database of policies and contracts with external parties and ensuring they are appropriately updated and regularly reviewed.
The position will be a supporting role to the Legal & Compliance Manager in implementing field office compliance functions, ensuring staff are aware of any updates to policies and providing guidance and training as needed.
The Compliance Officer will regularly review national and county legislation and give updates in areas that may impact Our Client’s current or future business interests. The officer will also monitor regulatory requirements and communicate changes that would affect 4 G Capital.
The position will require an individual who is able to keep abreast of current events, is comfortable reviewing legislation and is able to communicate their application and impact on Our Client’s business. The applicant should be aware of how to conduct a legal audit and how to assess for legal risk.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Maintain database of polices
• Update policies where needed under direction of Legal & Compliance Manager
• Review legislation and ensure 4 G Capital remains compliant
• Maintain a database of current contracts and documents with external parties.
• Create training material with the assistance of the Legal and Compliance Manger
• Visit branches to ensure compliance with various policies
• Conduct staff training
• Report on regulatory updates
Requirements & Competences
• Degree from a recognised University (preferably LLB);
• At least 1 year experience in compliance.
• Awareness of national laws.
• Ability to create training material and conduct trainings.
• Comfortable creating and presenting reports.
• Knowledge of national regulatory bodies.
• Interest in RegTech
• Familiar with the various Regional Data Protection Legislation
• Workable knowledge of presentation, database, spreadsheet and word-processing software.
• Organized and articulate
• Able to work independently with little supervision
Oversees the entire Compliance Department and provides direction for each of its sectors.
2. Legal & Compliance Manager
Direct Line Manager you will report to, will set deliverables, and evaluate performance.
3. Unit Managers and Operations
Liaise with unit managers and operations for purposes of training or updates on policies.