HIH EA is seeking a consultant to analyse the current MEL system and MEL capacity within the organization. In addition the consultant will be required to help set up the MEL components that will be found lacking or having gaps within the organization.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR A CONSULTANCY TO PROVIDE MEL SUPPORT SERVICES
Reference Number: HIHEA/032-2022/OP
Reports to: Head
Location of project: Nairobi
Type of contract: Consultancy
Preferred Language: English
Period of implementation: 3 Months (September – November 2022)
Type of selection Individual selection only
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya and Tanzania and is part of the Hand in Hand global network. The organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and is currently operating in 25 Field offices within 33 out of 47 Counties in Kenya. HiH EA has so far mobilised, trained and is training over 350,000 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created over 334,000 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and over 450,000 jobs on the Kenyan programme. Hand in Hand Eastern Africa –Tanzania (HiH EA-TZ) began operations in January 2018 and is currently operating in two field locations in northern Tanzania. So far, HiH EA-TZ has mobilised over 28,000 members (83% women) who either have trained or are still under training, and have created over 19,000 enterprises and over 27,000 jobs. Hand in Hand International is a registered NGO in the UK which provides fundraising, programmes and technical support to its Hand in Hand network partners in Eastern Africa, as well as in Zimbabwe, India and Afghanistan. Hand in Hand Sweden is registered in Sweden and provides technical, financial support to its networks in Kenya and India.
The organization works with marginalized communities in the areas of economic and social empowerment using a participatory approach aimed at helping people fight poverty and vulnerability. The Hand in Hand enterprise and job creation approach is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable people living in poverty, particularly women, to build and sustain independent, market-based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to greater food security, better education for children, increased access to healthcare, improved housing and overall improved livelihoods.
The model is based on a tried and tested four-step approach to job creation of four interlinked components
· Social mobilisation
· Business training
· Access to credit
· Linking entrepreneurs to markets.
Scope of work
HIH EA is seeking a consultant to analyse the current MEL system and MEL capacity within the organization. In addition the consultant will be required to help set up the MEL components that will be found lacking or having gaps within the organization. The specific scope of work will entail and not limited to the following.
- Conduct a capacity assessment of the HiH EA MEL team
- Design and conduct capacity building training of the MEL team, focusing on statistics and data analysis as well as other needs identified in the capacity assessment
- Provide input on the HiH EA MEL system, outlining ways of working that can lead to efficiency gains and match sector best practice
- Support the Acting Head of MEL in terms of working on project MEL deliverables (ITTs, evaluations etc.) as needed
· Quality assure strategic MEL outputs (internal and external) including project monitoring tools, baselines, evaluations, and other assessments
· Support the HiH EA MEL team to develop frameworks for stakeholder mapping/analysis.
· Train the MEL team on outcome harvesting/mapping approaches and help develop tools for the same.
· Provide support and frameworks for MEL around Policy Advocacy Agroecological (with emphasis to Regenerative Agriculture & Circular Economies) programmes
- Asses and help strengthen the level of knowledge
management in the organization regarding MEL resources and products with
reference to the following:
- Internal - to what extend does the MEL function facilitate internal learning and what gaps and opportunities do exist.
- External - to what extent the organization facilitates external learning. This may entail and not limited to; publication of reports, learning materials, case studies, thematic approaches and strategies etc. The successful consultant will help to set up a framework or direction on how this opportunity can be exploited.
- Support enhancement of continuous learning/reflection and feedback loops, as well as documentation.
- Communication for MEL as well as Knowledge sharing
Skills & Capacities
- Demonstrated track record of working on multiple large and small MEL projects
- Proven track record of MEL systems design, including organisational structure, data collection/analysis processes
- Excellent knowledge of statistics and data analysis, especially in the context of evaluations and quantitative research
· Previous experience of high quality progress reporting, project mid-term review and final evaluations, including quality assuring inputs from external consultants
- Extensive previous experience of MEL skills capacity building and learning needs assessments
- Previous experience of setting up or improving knowledge management systems and processes
- Highly comfortable using relevant MEL software (Kobo, Excel, SPSS etc.)
- Strong experience of applying quantitative and qualitative research evaluation techniques and methodologies
- Experience in the development and revision of the project log frame matrix, particularly in the areas of performance indicators and their measurement
- Proven track record in the development and/or finalization of project work plans and keeping these updated in accordance with project activities and timeframes as relevant
- Extensive experience in procurement processes in Kenya, and preferably Tanzania, is an advantage but not a requirement
Applicants will submit their proposed methodology on how to deliver on this assignment as part their application.
Key Products of the Assignment
§ Inception report with a clear detailed work plan for the entire consultancy period upon signing of contract
§ Capacity assessment report capturing the proposed components
§ Training reports for all the trainings designed to address the identified gaps.
Submission of proposals
HiH EA is inviting competent consultants/firms to submit proposals tailored to the outlined requirements, comprising of a technical proposal, financial proposal with clear costs, methodology plan, work plan and consultant’s CVs. Deadline for submission of proposals is Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 1700hrs via email to email@example.com. The applicant to reference the Ref. No. HIHEA/032-2022/OP as the subject of the email.
For more information about Hand in Hand Eastern Africa, please visit: https://handinhand-ea.org/
HIH EA does NOT condone any form of corrupt practices.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured