Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV Format [Download via the following link:https://www.ippfar.org/sites/ippfar/files/IPPF ARO - CV Form .docx] and a 1-page cover letter.
Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
“Applications are particularly encouraged from women, persons living with disability, and candidates openly living with HIV.”
IPPF has been made aware of various fraudulent vacancy announcements circulated via e-mail from websites falsely stating that they are issued by or in association with IPPF. These correspondences, which may seek to obtain money from the recipients of such correspondence are fraudulent and IPPF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
NB: Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV format (see download link above) and a 1-page cover letter. Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
Job Title: Content Specialist
Department: External Relations and Communications
Reports to: Lead Manager: Strategic Communications and Media Relations
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: 30 October 2020
1. JOB PURPOSE
The postholder will create content strategies, research trending topics, and write content. S/he will work closely with other team members (and consultants writers, designers) to enrich online and digital media.
The incumbent will be an experienced, innovative and polished writer who will drive the content strategy and create compelling content that elevates the IPPFAR brand and maintain a consistent voice. S/he will develop a deep understanding of IPPFAR’s programmes and its clientele base (the MAs and outside world) in order to produce engaging and relevant content that improves MAs engagement, builds awareness, and ultimately drives results.
As part of External Relations & Communications team, the position holder will write a wide range of content including digital and print, social media posts, blog articles, thought leadership pieces and case studies.
2. KEY TASKS
Writing and Content Management
• Writes and manage content for advert campaigns, email campaigns, editorial site content, social media, the website, direct mail pieces, and advocacy collateral;
• Build and execute a content strategy (with a detailed calendar) of engaging and relevant content for IPPFAR audience and other prospects;
• Develops a new branding strategy to create an approachable brand;
• Engages with the public through various social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn (and other media means);
• Maintains website development (through regular updates), e-marketing with the ultimate aim of building a stronger brand presence.
• Develops stories for blogs using the work of the regional office and Member Associations
• Uses blogs and other stories to increase media attention to the organisation, to increase advocacy and public information about IPPFARO work and ensure IPPFARO and member associations visibility and credibility in Africa;
• Ensures that content works lead to media and donor attention and supports regional office and member associations service delivery, CSE, advocacy and communications as well as relevance in their communities;
• Champions the brand voice across the organization to drive brand consistency and evolution;
• Raises awareness of the work of the organisation in a focussed and well researched manner and using good quality stories and materials to impact on organisation’s reputation;
• Develops videos, audio and written stories and advertise them on social media;
• Develops digital campaigning messages and materials and rolls them out externally and in collaboration with member associations;
• Contributes to creating online banners and PPC advertisements.
• Tracks and evaluates the performance of ARO social media platforms.
• Learns from other departmental teams and other partners continuously to improve the quality and consistency of written and verbal communication.
• Embrace safeguarding and other internal policies
• Any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the work of IPPFARO in the field of Advocacy, communications, resource mobilisation, partnership building, SRHR and Human rights. Understanding the functions of intergovernmental bodies. Ability to develop communications strategy and messaging for digital campaigning and media events; Understand of media relations and development of media support; Experience in developing media support in Africa for difficult mandates including SRHR and Human rights; strong experience in writing filming and producing images, blogs and stories for SRHR and human rights. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of IPPF mandate, particularly in the areas of advocacy, communications, public relations and partnership building. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Postgraduate degree in Digital Communications, Public Relations, ITC, Publications or relevant fields related to the position
3. WORK EXPERIENCE
• At least 5 years’ experience in content, publications, strategic communication, marketing, media and public relations;
• Strong writing skills in both English and French;
• Excellent mastering of production of videos, images, promotional materials and stories for campaigning;
• Very good technical knowledge of media contexts, communication software, MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset - including a wide range of multimedia, social media, web and digital tools;
• Demonstrated professional experience in social media and digital campaigning and a working knowledge of Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn;
• Experience in web design/development and content production is an advantage;
• Editing and copywriting content and blog posting experience is required.
English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
• Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review and/or an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
6. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• Willing to work outside standard office hours as required.
• Willing to travel internationally – about 30 days a year