Location: Kampala, Uganda
Our Client is looking for a new Country Manager in our East-Africa hub in Kampala. This is an exciting position to demonstrate and refine your leadership skills and explore a vast array of opportunities through East African expansion of our services. Technology, social science, media
and business development are merged into a job that awaits an ambitious leader.
Radio is an immensely popular platform for awareness creation and debate in developing regions in the world. Our client builds on the popularity and wide reach of FM radio and diversifies its use through several new media tools and practices. Our client combines Old and New Media, Social Science, Graphic Design and Software Development to create an innovative approach to public engagement, monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) and data driven advocacy.
Our client transforms citizens from passive listeners to active participants by facilitating informed and interactive debate. Our client is a not-for-profit media organisation striving for excellence in the field of data-driven advocacy. Our programs leverage the voices of citizens to
enable leaders to take up their perspectives.
Our is looking for an experienced leader with the ambition to grow our country office into a regional service provider for innovative media campaigns targeting hard to reach, isolated and unheard communities. The position requires a hardworking, independent, ambitious manager
who can translate a vision into practical outcomes.
For this you need strong social skills to develop and maintain essential partnership relations. At the same time you need a keen eye for the use of citizen generated data (polls and surveys) in the development of media campaigns. An academic background in social science is a valuable
asset. You will need to be a teamplayer that will manage and mature a small team in our regional office in Kampala, keep close contact with our head-office in Amsterdam and grow the organisation's capacity where needed.
The position of Country Manager requires you to have a wide field of interest. You will assist our CSO/NGO partners to come up with sharp, relevant, and clear poll-questions and advocacy strategies. At the same time, you will maintain friendly and professional relationships with the
20+ radio stations we work with. Helping stations improve their programs and making sure listeners are engaged in meaningful debates is key to a successful campaign. On top of this, you will explore new opportunities for partnerships and campaigns in which citizens should be
heard and citizen-data can be a gamechanger in advocacy efforts.
What will you do as a Country Manager:
● First of all you will get to know our Theory of Change and understand the work processes involved
● You will develop working relations with our existing partners in the media and CSO partners
● Together with key colleagues and the ED, you will strategise for upcoming projects, campaigns and potential partnerships
● You will efficiently apply your leadership skills to execute work plans, monitor progress and report on learning. You will be delegating tasks and taking up a significant piece of the workload yourself.
● Through a system of bonus-commissions you will be attracting new partnerships and growing the organisation regionally (Our client has already worked in Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania and Burundi)
What we expect
● Academic degree (MA) in a relevant field, social science, communications, business development, journalism.
● At least 4 years of relevant work experience
● Proven track-record of leadership experience
● At least a 1 year commitment to the position
● Hard-working, trustworthy and talented
The position of Country Manager is versatile and requires an all-round person who can combine strategic planning, team/partner management, innovative solutions, diligent reporting, general oversight and pro-active acquisition of new programs and partnerships.
We are looking for a candidate who:
● Has proven experience in program management
o Experience with project planning and M&E
o Experience with report and proposal writing
o Motivator and good communicator
o Basic understanding of financial management
o Can build and effectively manage a team
o Able to follow-up and request for instructions from HQ
● Is talented and fluent in both speaking and writing in English
● Has an entrepreneurial spirit, looking for opportunities to expand the organization scope
● Has affinity with innovative business development and/or tech start-ups
● Is a digital native (good ICT skills- Social media, MS office, Google drive, Slack etc.)
● Has affinity with both quantitative and qualitative academic social research
Good networking skills are a must. An established network in the East-African NGO sector is a plus. We are looking for a hardworking and dedicated colleague. For the position in Uganda, we offer a competitive Salary based on skills and experience.
If you think you are the best candidate please send a 1-page cover letter and your CV.