Caritas Nairobi is the aid and social development agency of the Archdiocese of Nairobi. Our vision is to see a just, self-reliant and value based society. We work in the counties of Kiambu and Nairobi to provide aid and social development services without regards to race, gender, and age, social or religious backgrounds. In line with development objectives, Caritas Nairobi is working with local dairy farmers to enhance their productivity and income through the development and enhancement of a dairy value chain, which involves dairy processing.
Based in Limuru, the Field Operations officer will support the milk production and procurement units in planning, organising and coordinating field operations involving milk collection, grading, chilling and transportation to milk processing unit, and related tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensure the relationship between the farmers and the dairy unit is maintained in good standing.
2) Support the milk production and procurement units in planning, organising and coordinating field operations involving milk collection, grading, chilling and transportation to milk processing unit, and related tasks.
3) Ensure that testing of raw milk, grading, chilling and transportation from all points is conducted according to hygienic standards.
4) Ensure that all equipment and machinery used in the process of milk collection and transportation is adequate and conforms with proper hygienic standards.
5) Ensure that only raw milk of acceptable Kenya Dairy Board (KDB) and/or ISO quality/company standards is ferried to the dairy processing unit.
6) Coordinate staffing and rotation on all routes and ensure service is conducted in the most professional manner.
7) Supervise staff under your unit and handle all matters related to human resources and staff performance management.
8) Ensure all staff under your care adhere to the prescribed code of conduct and record and report any failures in compliance.
9) Liaise with the head of extension services on the sensitization of farmers on Clean Milk Production and Productivity Enhancement besides addressing any technical problems that you may encounter.
10) Responsible for the safe custody of the company property and reporting any breakdowns that may occur. Maintain an up to date company inventory.
11) Implement administration systems controls, in order to eliminate losses in your unit and improve on efficiency.
12) Control and monitor wastages/losses of milk solids within benchmarks and reconciling on a day to day basis the milk purchased and dispatched to the processing plant.
13) Create and update competitors’ profile clearly highlighting their names, cooler capacities, milk quantities received, price per liter of raw milk paid to farmers and the competitors market for the raw milk they collect on a weekly basis.
14) Prepare weekly and monthly reports of your findings and action taken and submitting the same to your immediate supervisor.
15) As a representative of the dairy, ensure harmonious relationship between the dairy, farmers and the general public within your area
16) Scout and recommend to the / Head Milk Procurement areas with milk potential for the establishment of new routes or pick-up points in your area.
17) Monitor capacity utilization of milk routes and report your finding in the weekly reports to your immediate supervisor.
18) Ensure that all vehicles have adequate stocks of all the necessary consumable requirements and equipment at all times.
19) Support extension services team to mobilize farmers for training, demonstration activities, farmer field days, and supervision of service provision to farmers.
20) Carrying out any other duties as may be assigned to you from time to time by your immediate supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
1) Diploma in Dairy Technology or related discipline from a recognized Institution.
2) Bachelor’s of Science in Food Processing Technology will be an added advantage.
3) Good understanding of KDB regulations
4) Good understanding of KEBS regulations in relation to the dairy industry.
5) Trained in relevant ISO standards.
6) A minimum of three years of experience in a similar position.
7) Preferred experience working in food manufacturing industry especially dairy corporative.
8) Excellent computer skills
9) Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills.
Skills and Experience
1) Must demonstrate ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
2) Must be a team player who is able to work cordially in teams
3) Must demonstrate commitment to operational effectiveness
4) Must be creative and able to work under pressure
5) Must be a flexible person, who is willing to learn and able to work flexible hours to achieve goals
6) Motorcycle use and experience will be an advantage.
1) Values: respect for ideals and values of the Catholic Church
2) Ethics: Ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
3) Adaptability: Demonstrate dynamism and a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
4) Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
APPLICATION: Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send their applications, detailed CVs, names of three referees, available testimonials and working hours telephone contact.