Debt Collector Job Description
• Keep tracking outstanding debts.
• Maintain up-to-date customer contact information in the collections systems.
• Plan course of action to recover owed money.
• Locate and contact debtors and negotiate payoff deadlines and payment plans.
• Identify gaps in the debt collection system and recommend solutions.
• Record and where appropriate, investigate any disputes.
• Prepare documentation and evidence to support the commencement of legal proceedings.
• Strategize to achieve full payment in accordance with organisational and legal requirements.
• Build trust with debtors and update account status and database regularly (Daily/Weekly/Monthly).
• Comply with requirements when legal action is unavoidable
• Negotiate account resolution and accurately inputs and documents actions within the collection systems while maintaining company performance and productivity standards.
• May be required to initiate external contact with customers and may perform advanced loss prevention activities (i.e. customer tracing, field chasing, account settlement) etc.
• Communicate with company lawyer if need be to issue demand notices.
• Demonstrates good customer service skills while initiating outbound calls and receiving inbound calls from customers.
• May be required to support other queues to facilitate teamwork in the department.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Communicate with company lawyer if need be to issue demand notices
1. 3+ years’ experience in a direct customer contact, collections or debt recovery.
2. Accounting experience will be an added advantage
3. At least CPA 3 and proficient computer skills.
4. Ability to work independently and maintain accuracy.
5. Experience in working with targets and tight deadlines.
6. Strong attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Experience in any position where you had to demonstrate excellent negotiation skills.