- 2nd commis
- 1st commis
- To assist the ex sous chef and sous chef in achieving the quality of food and service that is expected by our guest and maintaining it at this level consistently.
- To ensure that all areas of your section are maintained to the highest standard of cleanliness, hygiene and productivity.
- Together with the ex sous chef and sous chef to supervise and co-ordinate the service for your section, communicating any staff shortages, product shortages or other problems which could affect the service of the kitchen. To inform the ex sous chef and sous chef of any staff queries or problems concerning the kitchen organisation.
- To assist in the training of all designated personnel.
- To motivate team building and total dedication and discipline to produce cuisine to the highest possible quality.
- To cook food on a daily basis according to the business requirements whatever the demands, everything must be done to the highest possible standard.
- To assist the ex sous chef and sous chef in the control of food products, their production with minimal wastage to enhance the profitability of the kitchen department.
- Together with the ex sous chef and sous chef are responsible for the direct supervision of all employees in your section. This includes interpersonal skills, personal hygiene training, product knowledge and every product that is produced by them, its quality and freshness.
- In conjunction with the ex sous chef and sous chef job methods and supervise their implementation on a regular basis by training and re-training so that the standard of production and organisation is the chefs standard.
- To ensure that training of all subordinates is carried out as requested by the ex sous chef and sous chef and tasks set are to the standard required.
- To follow recipes at all times and to check standard recipes for all dishes ensuring uniformity of taste, quality and proper portion control. To have the knowledge of origin, season and availability of all products.
- To assist in the daily inspection of all fresh food received to ensure that the quality is maintained.
- Ensure the goods return book is always filled in whenever necessary stating why, how much, date and invoice number. Ensure the white copy is given to the supplier and the green copy is stapled to the invoice for the accounts.
- To check on a daily basis food preparation, individual cost, quality, quantity and portion control. Develop knowledge of all prices and weight of product used.
- To record loss of all the food through spoilage, waste and report the loss to the head chef or sous chef immediately.
- Together with the ex sous chef and sous chef discuss the day’s menu.
- To prepare the daily orders regarding the purchase of fish, meat, vegetables and handing over to the ex sous chef and sous chef to assess and pass.
- To be aware of the cost of all foods purchased on present section, to compare prices with suppliers from the information given by the ex sous chef and sous chef. Eventually be able to give clear judgement on products to purchase.
- To be aware of any dietary requirements for the day, exceed the guest’s level of expectation.
- To always keep all lines of communication open, maintaining co-operation between kitchen and service and all other departments.
- Ensure a professional hand over, using the appropriate forms and giving as much information as possible orders, service problems, where the section may have been affected.
- To assist with monthly stock takes of all food and stores on present section.
- To take care of all equipment being used and to report any loss or damage of equipment to the ex sous chef and sous chef.
- To keep the staff changing room tidy
- To follow the times set out for staff meals
- To undertake the tasks given whatever the size or urgency, complexity or simplicity with the same sense of dedication and professionalism.
- To check all plates before service and report back to the head chef if they are dirty.