The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
Department: Office of the Deputy Clerk
Organ: East African Legislative Assembly (EALA)
Reports to: The Clerk
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deputise for the Clerk
- Assist in drawing up Orders for Business, Agenda and order Paper for the Sittings of the Assembly and send copies to each Member of the Assembly;
- Assist in preparing the strategic programme of activities, budget, policy decisions and coordinate the general functioning of the assembly;
- Transmit and distribute documents and records of proceedings, and prepare all sectoral documentation and facilitation of Members of the Assembly;
- Participate in the selection, recruitment and induction, placement and training of EALA staff;
- Assist in transmitting to the Clerks of National Assemblies of Partner States, and to the Secretary General, copies of Bills, Acts and all records of relevant debates of meetings of the Assembly for information;
- Assist in planning the programme of activities for implementation of policy decisions as well as coordinating the general functioning of the Assembly;
- Responsible for the day to day administrative and procedural affairs of the Assembly;
- Carry out follow up action on Committee and Assembly decisions and other administrative and financial matters;
- Carry out research on different subjects relevant to Committees' mandate and produce reports for Members of Committees;
- Provide technical support to Members when preparing Private Bills, Motions and Petitions;
- Serve as Head Clerk at the Table when the Assembly is in session; and
- Ensure preparation and production of annual reports of the assembly.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters Degree in Public Administration, Law, Social Sciences or a related field with specialized training in Parliamentary procedures.
- 10 years of relevant experience with at least 5 years at senior level. Should have served in a Parliamentary setting at a rank not lower than Principal Clerk Assistant.
Skills and competencies :
Should be able to work independently and in a diverse cultural environment.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; copy to: email@example.com Website : www.eac.int