The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Rwanda, South Sudan and the United Republic of Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC).
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
Office: Office of Deputy Executive Secretary
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Duty Station : Kisumu, Kenya
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Executive Secretary, are as follows:
- Deputize the Executive Secretary in providing oversight role of coordinating LVBC activities including projects management, financial management and administration;
- Initiate and coordinate the process of harmonization of policies, laws, regulations and standards with specific relevance to the sustainable development of Lake Victoria Basin;
- Provide guidance on the development and implementation of Sectoral projects and programmes in the Basin in line with vision and strategy framework for management and development of Lake Victoria Basin;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of systems for monitoring, evaluation and compliance with agreed policies and actions by Partner States and other stakeholders;
- Analyse reports from Partner States’ institutions on their activities relating to the management of the Basin as specified in the Protocol and guide on the required follow up initiatives.
- Coordinate the involvement of the Commission in Multilateral Environment Agreements (MEA’s) and projects thereof in liaison;
- Promote coordinated engagement and participation of the civil society organizations and the Private Sector in the sustainable development initiatives in the Lake Basin;
- Promote capacity building, institutional development and research in the Basin;
- Liaise with the National Focal Points in the Partner States for coordinated implementation of projects and programmes;
- In liaison with the Executive Secretary develop Sustainable Funding Mechanisms for facilitating development in the basin.
- Make follow up on contributions of Partner States from EAC Secretariat
- Provide guidance in the process of preparation of annual work plans and budgets for the commission, including plans and strategies to ensure harmonious implementation of projects/ programs.
- Ensure overall consistencies, synergies and quality in Projects and Programmes implementation and high performance level;
- Provide guidance and technical support to the Sectoral Council of Ministers and take appropriate follow-up actions as decided/directed by the Sectoral Council;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s University Degree in Environmental Sciences/Environmental Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Business Administration, Financial Management or related field
- Relevant qualification related to projects/ program development and management
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, of which 8 years should be at Senior Level;
Note: Experience in an organization dealing with global environmental issues and projects development and management is an added advantage;
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability in managing Programmes and Projects;
- Knowledge in Resources Mobilisation, financing agreement negotiation and management;
- Knowledge and skills in financial management
- Strong management, administrative and organizational skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/diverse environment; and
- Ability to work under pressure.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (3) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: email@example.com; copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org Website : www.eac.int