The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, and South Sudan) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) :
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (PROGRAMMES AND PROJECTS)
Office: Office of Deputy Executive Secretary (Projects and Programmes)
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Executive Secretary, Projects and Programmes are as follows:
- Provide effective deputisation for the Executive Secretary;
- Initiate and coordinate the process of harmonization of policies, laws, regulations and standards with specific relevance to the development of Science, Technology and innovation (STI);
- Guide identification and development of new STI projects and programmes as strategic initiatives within the EASTECO mandate;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of systems for monitoring, evaluation and compliance with agreed policies and actions by Partner States and other stakeholders;
- Analyse reports from Partner States’ institutions on their activities relating to the management of STI as specified in the Protocol establishing the Commission;
- Coordinate the involvement of the Commission in Multilateral science and technology Agreements and projects thereof in liaison with the Executive Secretary
- Promote the coordinated engagement and participation of the civil society organizations, the Private Sector and other relevant stakeholders in the development and application of science, technology and innovation in the region;
- Promote capacity building, institutional development, scientific research and innovation in the Community;
- Liaise with the National Commissions/Councils of Science and Technology (NCSTs), Ministries/institutions responsible for Science and Technology, Research and Innovation in the Partner States for coordinated implementation of projects and programmes;
- Develop strategies and plans for mobilizing national and international financial resources for the Programmes of the Commission;
- Lead the process of formulation and implementation of annual work plans and budget;
- Ensure overall consistencies, synergies and quality in Projects and Programmes implementation and high performance level;
- Provide guidance and technical support to the Sectoral Council of Ministers and take appropriate follow-up actions as decided/directed by the Sectoral Council;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree in a relevant field of Science and Technology from a recognised university and relevant qualification related to projects/program development and management.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, of which 8 years should be at Senior Level;
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability in managing Programmes and Projects;
- Knowledge in Resource Mobilisation, financing agreement negotiation and management;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/diverse environment; and
- Ability to work under pressure.
Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the Republics of Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan and the United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (3) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; copy to: email@example.com Website : www.eac.int