1. NZOWASCO/MD/9/2021/1: Deputy Manager Technical Services (1 post)
Reporting to the Head of Technical Services
Salary scale 11- 12
Job Purpose (Role)
To assist the Head of Technical Services in overseeing the Company’s Technical operations for water, ensure that the technical assets of the Company are acquired, maintained and operated according to standard and specifications stipulated by the Service Agreement. S/he is responsible for research and Pro-poor water activities
• Developing procedures related to the department and ensure effective implementation
• Developing and monitoring departmental budget
• Managing and directing project development programs to meet the company needs
• Researching and advising management on new and emerging products and trends
• Identifying strategic operational opportunities and risks and advice management on new and emerging products.
• Networking with other stakeholders on project development and implementation
• Developing proposals and implementing strategies for sourcing funds from development partners for pro poor water and sanitation activities
• Ensuring optimum utilization of resources and provide professional leadership to Technical staff
• Analyze the technical reports from the head of sections and make recommendations
• Implementation of the strategic plan and the business plan at the technical level and implementation of management resolutions
• Management of company assets and ensure proper maintenance schedules are created
• Create awareness and implement any new technical industry changes on quality standards;
• Ensure Non-Revenue Water is reduced to acceptable limits
• Ensure production is ongoing and that sufficient water is produced to meet demand
• Ensure quality tests for compliance to water and waste water quality standards and policies are done as per WASREB guidelines;
• Make proposals and costing for new water and sewer extensions and make recommendations
• Oversee operations and maintenance of water and sewerage facilities to meet WHO standards.
• Implement safety standards to ensure safety of staff and company facilities
• Ensure periodic performance appraisal of staff in Technical.
• Ensure equipment manuals and catalogues are in place
• Analyse and advice on the machines lifespan and usage.
• Implement energy audit report to optimise on the operations of machines.
• Ensure energy policy is in place and implemented
• Align the technical services of water and waste water activities in line with the company’s operations and maintenance manual
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
1. Working with Others
a. Team working: Recognizes and develops opportunities for team working at cross organizational level, driving improvements to the teams’ outputs/service and developing colleagues within the teams
b. Customer Focus: Anticipates the needs of customers, seeking evidence of demand from the market(s) and from stakeholders. Seeks out and manages long term relationships with stakeholders, develops strategic initiatives to ensure the delivery of a quality and valued service.
c. Communicating and influencing: Communicates and negotiates effectively with a range of stakeholders on complex matters which have future implications for the success of the organisation. Alert to internal and external dynamics of the organisation. Incorporates wider political factors into influencing strategy
2. Delivering Results
a. Making informed decisions: Identifies areas for development by reviewing current trends and data. Develops products, policy and strategy for the future. outputs/service and developing colleagues within the teams
b. Organisation Delivery: Adopts a long term view and plans resources accordingly. Develops local strategy in support of the Strategic Plan and develops resourcing models to underpin implementation
c. Adaptability: Instigates and leads programmes of change, working in close collaboration with colleagues. Identifies resource implications of strategic developments and manages them accordingly
3. Focusing on the Future
a. Entrepreneurship and Commercial Focus: Keeps up to date with the factors influencing the commercial context of the organisation and actively seeks out opportunities for income generation, commercial exploitation, and to ensure the organisation retains a competitive edge within the sector
b. Creativity and Innovation: Develops and implements new concepts, models, approaches to practice and products that have a significant impact on the longer term success of the organisation. Drives strategic thinking.
c. Leading and Coaching: Takes responsibility for strategic developments sets standards and direction. Takes responsibility for developing talent and succession planning.
• Head of Technical Services
• Heads of Departments
• With departmental support staff by allocating duties and responsibilities to them and supervising their work performance
• Government Agencies on water technical regulations and related issues
• Other organisations, groups and individuals on areas of interest
• With any other authorised officials from time to time
• Water Customers
Academic/ professional Qualifications
• A Degree in Civil Engineering, Operational Geology, hydrology, Water Resource Management, Environmental Management, Water Resource Engineering, Geo-informatics or equivalent
• Management course lasting at least four weeks will be an added advantage
• A Registered (Engineer) with a professional body in good standing
• Master’s degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage
• Six (6) years relevant working experience with at least three (3) years in a Senior Management position
Interested candidates are required to submit their CV, application letter, copies of academic and professional certificates and chapter six documents in hard copy, indicating the reference number on the envelop on or before 29th September 2021 by 5.00pm. to;
Nzoia Water Services Company Ltd
P.O. Box 1010- 50205