The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at EAC Competition Authority.
DEPUTY REGISTRAR (MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS)
Organ / Institution: East African Community Competition Authority
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P5
Job reports to: Registrar
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of the Registrar, the Deputy Registrar Mergers and Acquisitions shall perform the following functions:
- Manage the operations of the Directorate in liaison with the Registrar;
- Develop policies and guidelines on Mergers and Concentrations in the EAC;
- Establish and operationalize the EAC Competition Network which shall be responsible for coordination and consultation with national Competition Authorities in assessment of mergers;
- Assess notified and identified mergers as provided for under the EAC Competition Law giving due regard to the best international practices;
- Assess notified and identified state aid applications as provided for under the EAC Competition Law giving due regard to the best international practices;
- Assist Partner States in establishing effective merger control regimes at the National level;
- Compile and submit investigation reports and case recommendations to the Registrar;
- Develop a ‘user friendly’ merger notification procedure and filing system at the Authority;
- Develop and implement subsidiary rules relating to the Merger Notification and Filing procedures i.e. notification Forms, lodgement schedules, fees payable, etc;
- Develop the ‘office practice’ of the Authority in the assessment of mergers and guidelines, operational manual and procedures in accordance with the provisions of the Law;
- Educate the public on the merger provisions of the Regulations as well as draft relevant publications for public dissemination and advise the Registrar of the Authority on possible courses of action after a market study is concluded;
- Fostering multilateral cooperation in cross-border merger review among Partner States;
- Network with regional and international merger enforcement agencies and keep an update on latest developments and facilitate the Authority’s participation in key merger market analysis regional and international conferences;
- Submit performance reports to the Registrar;
- Develop a pragmatic department strategic vision, objectives and strategies to feed into the corporate strategic plan;
- Prepare departmental budgets and programs; and,
- Performance of all such related duties as may be assigned by the Registrar.
Qualifications and Experience:
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
A minimum of An advanced degree (at least a Masters) in Economics, Law. Qualifications in Marketing, Business Administration, Public administration disciplines will be an added advantage.
A minimum of at least 10 years relevant post-qualifying experience in competition matters, 5 of which should be at managerial level.
Skills and Competencies:
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EAC economic integration agenda.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi-stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analyzing and presenting data and evidence;
- Accurate or intelligent or other demonstrable knowledge in competition, industrial organization or industry structures in any of the countries in the Common Market
The suitable candidate should have the following attributes: strategic thinking, achieves results, team player, exemplifies personal drive and integrity, cultivates productive working relationships, communicates effectively.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (3) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; copy to: email@example.com Website : www.eac.int