Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:4 years
Selection Process Nº: 83742-67
Salary: 2,597,723 ksh during training period; 3,517,675 ksh for fully designated LE-O1 (under review)
Contract Type: Indeterminate (Full-time)
Term Details: This position is a Locally Engaged Staff position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Kenya.
Job Function: Officer
Classification: LE - O1 (Starting at LE-A3, please see Conditions of Employment / A partir de LE-A3, voir conditions d'emploi)
Location: the High Commission of Canada to Kenya
Number of Vacancies: 3
Closing date for application: 30 August, 2022 at 23:59 UTC/GMT +3:00
Summary of Duties:
Under the general direction of a Canada-based Officer, a Non-Immigrant Officer exercises delegated authority and discretion when making decisions in accordance with legislation, regulations, policies, guidelines and procedures in approving, granting, rejecting or refusing applications for temporary resident entry to Canada; conducts interviews of temporary resident applicants; participates in promotion and recruitment activities, project teams, and working groups; composes correspondence, prepares statistics, reports, briefings and presentations; provides and explains policies and procedures to clients, their representatives, partners and other stakeholders in person, by telephone and in writing; reports information on trends of misrepresentation or non-compliance; interprets or translates interviews, documents, and other material as required; supervises staff, conducts performance management and may be involved in staffing exercises.
Program Officer (TR) is a developmental position. The successful
candidate will initially be appointed at the LE-A3 Level, as a Case
Analyst. After a prescribed period of fully-satisfactory performance at
the LE-A3 level, the incumbent will be required to travel to Canada for
training and examination. The incumbent will be promoted to the LE-O1
level as a Migration Program Officer (TR) only upon successful
completion of the mandatory training and examination as well as positive
recommendation from the Migration Program Manager. Meeting designation
requirements is a condition of employment. Failure to meet will result
in the employee being removed from the position.
Area of Selection:
This position is open to internal and external candidates who have the right to reside and work in Kenya, who meet all the essential requirements stated and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the High Commission of Canada to Kenya does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience. Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university in any discipline
Proficiency in English – (reading, writing, comprehension and speaking)
- A minimum of four years of work experience in an office environment within the past five years
- Recent and significant* work experience using knowledge of regulations, legislation, or other rules or guidelines
- A minimum of two years of recent and significant* work experience using knowledge of regulations, legislation, or other rules or guidelines to analyse cases and make recommendations / decisions or understand client enquiries and provide technical or expert advice;
- Experience using a computer, word processing and spreadsheet software, electronic mail and other web-based applications in an office environment;
- Experience working in a client-service environment, including the delivery of courteous and effective in-person or electronic service.
* “Recent and significant” means at least two years within the last three years.
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded/live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- General knowledge of local laws i.e. family law, criminal law, etc. in the East African region;
- Knowledge of the Government of Canada’s priorities;
- Knowledge of Canadian immigration policies
- Professional integrity and discretion;
- Sound judgement;
- Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions;
- Focus on client service.
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and problems, conduct research, identify key variables, and make logical decisions;
- Ability to work under pressure and with changing or conflicting priorities;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a diverse team;
- Ability to plan work, direct and supervise employees;
- Ability to use office applications and to navigate the internet.
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively (speaking and writing) in French (please note that this asset may be tested);
- Experience in supervising employees;
- Ability to communicate (speaking and writing) in any East African language or dialect;
- Experience in using SQL and/or Oracle based software.
- Experience working at an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate, UN Agency, development agency or law firm.
- Standard working hours are 37.5 per week, Mondays to Thursdays (07:30 to 16:00), and Fridays (07:30 – 13:00)
- May be required to work overtime
- May be required to travel regionally and internationally on a regular basis
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
- Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
- Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
Other conditions of employment:
- Candidates who are successful in this process and offered positions will be hired conditionally as a Migration Program Officer at the LE-A3 level. During this period, they must obtain a fully satisfactory performance appraisal and successfully complete a training and development program with assessment for eventual designation and appointment to the full level of the position at the LE-O1 level. Designation is mandatory for this position. Candidates unable to meet the designation requirements could lead to termination of employment.
How to Apply
- You must submit your application using the "Apply online" function. Only applications submitted via VidCruiter will be considered, unless a valid reason is presented and accepted prior to the closing date.
- Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your application form, CV nor cover letter (as required). Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster.
- You must clearly demonstrate in answering the screening questions how you meet the education and experience factors listed in the essential and asset qualifications. You must provide specific examples to demonstrate clearly how you meet the qualifications. Global Affairs Canada cannot make any assumptions about your studies nor experience. Simply saying you have the required qualifications or listing your current duties will not be sufficient. Instead, you must provide concrete and detailed examples that clearly explain where, when, and how you gained the experience. No additional information will be sought beyond what you submit in your online application.
- Candidates may be required to upload a CV and/or a cover letter in English or French. These documents may be used as a secondary source to validate the answers to the screening questions.
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or which are not received by the closing date will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments.
- Please note that the High Commission of Canada to Kenya does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer.
- As recently announced by the Government of Canada, the Policy for Mandatory Vaccination: Canada and the Mission Network is suspended as of June 20, 2022. The Government of Canada will continue to assess the need for additional public health measures, including the possible reintroduction of a vaccination mandate at a later date.
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the High Commission of Canada to Kenya which might arise following the completion of this selection process.
- For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured