GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries, >$250M transferred to over a million individuals, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
About the role
We are seeking an analytical and entrepreneurial individual to help scale GiveDirectly through our next phase of growth: building strategic partnerships to scale commitments from institutions and foundations.
As someone passionate about shifting the status quo in the aid space, you’ll build and strengthen relationships with GiveDirectly funders and partners. In this capacity, you will own end-to-end deal cycles and relationship management, overseeing a fast-growing pipeline already reaching $50M+ annual revenue. You are highly organized, solutions oriented, and innovative, and an adaptable communicator in a range of contexts.
Our team is dedicated to shifting the status quo with respect to how and by whom decisions are made in the aid space. We believe elevating recipient choice is critical, as is demonstrably committing to transparency around metrics and evidence. We are looking for applicants who are deeply aligned with these objectives, and energized by the prospect of partnering with organizations that advance them.
Reports to: Head of Growth
- Own end-to-end deal cycles with funders across a range of projects and countries
- Deliver exceptional relationship management to existing funders and partners
- Amplify GiveDirectly brand by serving as spokesperson (e.g. media, conferences, donors) & owning select senior relationships
- Provide coaching to Country Directors on business development strategy and relationship management.
- Partner with GiveDirectly operations teams on new project proposals and program designs
- Build & own processes to streamline pipeline management and analytics across GiveDirectly’s nine countries of operation (e.g. consolidated pitch library)
- 5+ years of experience in similar role or function (business development, sales, partnerships, consulting, finance)
- Exceptional relationship management: you’re excited to build a network in the cash space, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones
- Strong communications skills: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems w/ analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
- Passion for putting structure and process to ambiguous problems
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**