Nova Pioneer is looking for a superstar Driver for our organization.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who will shape the African Century.
Disclaimer: Nova Pioneer does not charge any fee to process your application.
Overview of Role & Responsibilities
The Driver shall be responsible and accountable for the execution of daily transportation of students/staff and the mechanical maintenance of the Nova Pioneer’s fleet of motor vehicles.
Directly reports to the Transport Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operate the school motor vehicle in a safe and efficient way according to all relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that “door to door” policy for dropping and picking of pupils is maintained.
- Follow planned route on a time schedule
- Work together with the bus assistant in maintaining order in the bus.
- Report and document any vehicle defect on daily basis.
- Observe speed limits and all other road signs
- Fuel allocated vehicle as per fueling schedule.
- Drive pupils to educational trips, sports activities and any other school activity in a safe manner.
- Document actual mileage, timings and destination in the vehicle movement book before commencement of any trip.
- Undertake daily routine checks for tyres, oil, radiator coolant and lights.
- Ensure the allocated school motor vehicle is kept clean on daily basis.
- Notify Transport Manager of any accident/incident immediately.
- Notify Transport Manager of any delay, route diversion and riots.
- Follow Emergency policy when involved in emergencies or accident.
- Ensure the school motor vehicle is safely and securely parked on campus and when on trips.
- Ensure that all pupils on route are on board before journey start.
- Ensure all on board are aware of rules and responsibilities as passengers
- Maintain order and discipline in the school motor vehicle.
- Perform any other duties as assigned on behalf of the organization including running errands, transporting staff and ferrying students to the hospital for emergency cases.
Compliance with Internal Policies, Standards, National Laws & Regulations
- Adhere to the stipulated standards and conduct outlined by the Nova Pioneer Transport Policy, the Nova Pioneer Employee Handbook and other relevant policies.
- Ensure that all National and County Legal requirements such as licenses, permits or certificates are met and continually kept current or updated. This includes any motor vehicle licenses, approvals, certificates and permits.
- Champion & Promote Safety & Best Work Practices
- Conduct weekly workplace inspection to ascertain adherence to the Workplace Health & Safety Protocols and other relevant standards.
- Participate and own all Health & Safety initiatives that may be recommended by the Health & Safety Committee or other Organisation or School Leadership organs.
- Responsibly handle and operate tools, equipment and machinery according to the prescribed manufacturer’s recommendations and safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in the work area and promptly report any conditions that are not correctable to the supervisor.
- Keep the workshop, equipment and tools in a safe operating condition.
Live the Nova Pioneer Culture
- Fully embrace Nova Pioneer’s culture, values and beliefs and promote them to students, staff, parents and members of the outside community.
- Work collaboratively and cohesively in a team, being mindful and respectful of each person’s contributions and style.
- Maintain the adopted Nova Pioneer Transport Policy approach of door-to-door student pick-up and drop-off.
- Ensure the strict adherence of the various Transport Services Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend and participate in team meetings that arise throughout the school year.
- Proactively monitor and report/act on Customer Feedback.
- Adhere to the Transport Services Safety and Operating Procedures and provide timely feedback.
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all relevant records.
- Performs other duties as assigned by your Manager from time to time.
Skills and requirements
- Diploma in Auto-mechanical or electrical engineering from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge of highway code and school bus regulations.
- Possess a PSV License.
- Possess a BCE- Class Driving License for more than 8 years.
- Must Possess a recent (not older than 6 months) Certificate of Good Conduct.
- Recommendation from 3 previous employers.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with school bus transportation.
- Ability to operate the school bus in a safe and responsible manner.
- Client service and public interaction skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills.
- First aid knowledge.
How to Apply:
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then Apply Now!
To apply, please complete the form by clicking the Apply Now Button. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in PDF format to protect formatting.
There are a series of stages in the Nova Pioneer interview process and candidates will be moved forward in the process depending on their success in the previous stage. The process is as follows:
Phone interview: a short conversation to understand your skills and experience a little better.
Practical demonstration of what you can do: you will complete a written task or a demonstration related to the role you are applying for.
In-person interviews: at this point, you will visit one of our schools to meet the team and participate in a series of in-person interviews.
Final interview: you’ll have a final conversation with the hiring manager before decisions are made.
Working at Nova Pioneer
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing personal development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels our work and learning.