ECD Teacher of the Deaf – Job Description
Teaching and Learning
• To ensure that the special educational and communication needs of individual children are met within an inclusive environment that allows them access to the CBC Curriculum in accordance with the provisions of the Special Educational Needs Code.
• To contribute to the development of our deaf students.
• To include parents in the planning and reviewing of provision and ensure they are supported in their development as educators of their children.
Teaching, Assessment and Monitoring
• To carry out detailed assessments, monitoring, specialist teaching and programme planning for deaf pupils.
• Instructs students in various forms of communication, such as gestures, sign language, finger spelling, and speech cues.
• Instructs students in academic subjects.
• To work with school to develop teaching strategies, approaches, specialist materials and resources to support deaf pupils.
• To regularly plan with school staff and other agencies to advise on specific strategies and specialist equipment for individual pupils.
• To act as a role model of good classroom practice for other teachers, modelling effective strategies with them.
• To monitor and maintain records of teaching, meetings, planning and pupil progress.
• To evaluate the efficacy of individual support programmes through accurate benchmarking and target setting.
• To understand how deafness can impact on learning.
• To set realistic targets aimed at closing the attainment gap.
1. Degree or diploma in Early childhood development
2. Fully conversant and fluent with the Kenyan Sign Language
3. Experience teaching PP1 and PP2
4. Must have teaching experience with hearing impaired children in an integrated setting.