Webcruiter ID: 4311847101
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme.
NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the planning, implementation, expansion, coordination and management of NRC’s AEP activities in Kakuma.
- Ensure proper and timely administrative, logistical, and financial arrangements and documentation needed for the implementation of the assigned programme components are prepared by the assigned team, in line with NRC procedures.
- Ensure monitoring of the AE programme components assigned, by contributing to data collection, spot visits, data analysis, and drafting of regular activity implementation/monitoring/evaluation reports, need-based.
- Ensure mobilization and enrolment of AEP learners at the start-up of the AEP project in close cooperation and coordination with other agencies (in particular UNHCR, UNICEF LWF, FCA, HI and WTK)
- Supervise the education technical assistants and teachers assigned, in terms of performance, allocation of tasks, work plan, day-to-day work, and leaves, and support them to further build their capacity and expertise
- Ensure timely procurement, development and distribution of training modules, educational materials and equipment and preparation and filing of beneficiary lists and results outcome.
- Coordinate with the World Food Program (WFP) to ensure that AEP learners receive school feeding and that all procedures are followed and completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective pre-positioning, timely, distribution and monitoring of school learning materials.
- Promote, advocate and implement community mobilization on the Right to Education for All (EFA), the concept of AEP, INEE standards, girl’s education, protection of vulnerable children and the rights of refugees, IDPs and Children With Disability (CWDs)
- Prepare timely periodic AEP progress reports as required by the line manager. (Weekly, Biweekly, Monthly or Quarterly and end of year project reports).
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities of project and conduct monthly PTA/community coordination meetings per camp.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education oriented towards Primary Education or related field of study, additional P1 certificate is an added advantage.
- Have a valid Teaching Certificate (Registered with TSC)
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, at least 2 in Humanitarian, urban informal settlement, pastoralist or other educationally challenged people’s contexts
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of education projects for at least 3 years mostly in humanitarian assistance.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment.
- Analysing and critical thinking.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Ability to handle stress and insecure environments.
- Ability to resolve individual and group conflicts
- Ability to cope and support the team to cope well with change.
- Good planning and organisation skills.
- Project implementation supervisory skills.
We can offer
Duty station: Kakuma
Contract period is up to December 2020 with possibility of extension.
Salary / Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, the candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
*Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position*