REPORTS TO: General Manager
The Engineering Manager is responsible for the maintenance of the entire hotel facility, including the physical building structure, all mechanical, electrical, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and related equipment in order to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of hotel operations. The manager will also ensure the upkeep of guest areas to maintain an attractive hotel.
1. Supervises, develops and maintains an ongoing maintenance operation for the property, including refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water treatment, preventive maintenance, apartments, air/heating units, ice machines, swimming pools, lighting, kitchen equipment, emergency generators, water softeners, switch rooms, roof exhausts, electrical substations, etc.
2. Oversees troubleshooting and repairing malfunctions in electrical/mechanical systems (e.g. HVAC, plumbing) and other property equipment.
3. Conducts ongoing apartment preventative maintenance program (see maintenance manual for system specifics).
4. Prioritizes work schedule and monitors progress of maintenance problems, complaints and work orders.
5. Oversees troubleshooting and diagnosing malfunctioning mechanical systems and equipment.
6. Inspects property to identify potential and current needs.
7. Estimates department expenditures for budget purposes and assisting with the capital budget process.
8. Solicits bids from contractors and evaluates their proposals. Once contractor is selected and employed, he/she ensures work is completed to specifications.
9. Coordinates with local health, safety, fire, and building inspectors to ensure compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
10. Monitors and schedules preventive maintenance assignments on a yearly basis.
11. Monitors the servicing of the swimming pool, including adjusting chemicals and cleaning filters.
12. Completes maintenance logs.
13. Monitor & Control all expenditure of the engineering department such as cost of Heat, Light, Power and Repairs & Maintenance costs.
14. Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules and recommends measures to improve production.
15. Maintains the building exterior if not serviced by a contractor (e.g. façade cleanings)
16. Manages and monitors the schedule of maintenance staff.
17. Manage and coordinate works by external maintenance teams
18. Liaises with local government authorities on matters pertaining to, including but not limited to, the use of utilities such as water, gas and electricity, licensing, inspection and testing to satisfy statutory requirements of all engineering systems.
A Higher National Diploma or Degree in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant wok experience. At least 3 years in a managerial position in the hospital industry.
Honest, Sincere, Self-disciplined, Proactive, Tactful, Reliable, Cooperative, Can work under pressure and able to work independently or with minimal supervision.
Knowledge of functions of relevant technical systems and associated equipment and operational procedures. Knowledge of local statutory, building and fire requirements. Good management and supervisory skills. Good written and verbal communication in the English Language.