The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five-year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Kenya (CDC-Kenya) to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and its partners for conducting HIV surveillance and survey activities, as well as HIV program monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
We are recruiting an individual through our affiliated international NGO Global Programs for Research & Training to serve as the Epidemiologist under the direction of the Medical Epidemiologist.
Key responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, providing the following services to Global Programs and/ or its affiliates: -
• Provide leadership and oversight on all HIV surveillance projects, including HIV/AIDS case-based surveillance, integrated bio-behavioral surveillance (IBBS) surveys, mortality surveys, drug resistance surveys, longitudinal care and treatment surveys, and others as needed.
• Establish and maintain close collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH), CDC-Kenya and other agencies and institutions, and key partners.
• Lead the development of survey protocols, tools and training materials for surveillance activities.
• Develop and review analysis plans, provide interpretation for analysis and write up results as needed.
• Provide feedback and guidance to the statistical team on analysis and statistical outputs.
• Facilitate and lead dissemination of surveillance data through preparation of presentations, reports and scientific manuscripts.
• Plan and facilitate data analysis, report and manuscript writing workshops for MOH and stakeholders.
• Provide technical assistance, capacity building and mentorship to MoH Officers, FELTP epidemiologists and other fellows and partners on epidemiologic and surveillance methods, survey design, data collection, management, analysis and use, as well as results dissemination through reports and manuscripts.
• Work in a multi-disciplinary team of epidemiologists, statisticians, surveillance officers, data managers and other surveillance personnel.
• Supervise junior epidemiologists, surveillance officers and data managers.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A Master’s or PhD degree in epidemiology or related field is required.
• Minimum of eight years with masters OR five years with PhD working in epidemiology, public health, surveillance or related field is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of concepts of surveillance and epidemiology.
• Experience and technical expertise with surveillance systems and surveys using varying sampling methodologies.
• Experience preparing survey and surveillance protocols, technical reports and scientific manuscripts**
• Experience capacity building on surveillance and epidemiological methods. **
• Strong interpersonal skills in working teams with varying areas of expertise to accomplish project objectives. **
• Demonstrated strong communication skills; ability to effectively communicate both orally and written complicated epidemiological information to non-technical persons. **
• Proficiency in either SAS, STATA or R statistical software packages**
• Fluency in English required.
How to apply
Qualified Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. All applications must include the following:
• Cover letter
• Current CV with names and telephone numbers for three referees
Applications must be sent by email to HR.Kenya@ucglobalprograms.org with the email subject Epidemiologist by, June 23, 2021.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.