The commercial aquaculture industry in East Africa is growing rapidly, based on strong demand and excellent natural resources. Population growth, urbanization, and income growth are all rapidly fueling consumers’ ability and desire to buy fresh fish; however, access to fresh fish has declined driven by dwindling wild-catch stocks (e.g., tilapia population has dropped 90% over the last 30 years and continues to decline).
Victory Farms Kenya:
Victory Farms is a fully vertically integrated aquaculture company, with farm operations in the Lake Victoria region. Its founders are committed to building a global 'best-in-class' company, which means placing sustainability at the core of operations. The company was established in 2015 and is now the fastest growing fish farm in the region, accounting for roughly 50% of local fish production and 75% of the industry’s annual growth, and is uniquely positioned to continue to scale by employing best-in-class technologies, people and processes to build the leading global tilapia farm.
OPEN POSITION: ESG Manager
As we scale from a start-up farm to a more structured entity, we are looking to add an ESG Manager to our team who can add immediate value to the organization. The successful candidate will act as a thought-partner with senior management to help devise programs, processes and partnerships which enable the company to become the most sustainable aquaculture company in the world.
What we are looking for:
• Experienced ESG & sustainability management capabilities, proven track record of managing ESG across multiple business functions in a challenging geography.
• Appreciation for and understanding of ESG matters within a fast growing commercial operation.
• Understanding of aquaculture is a plus, but not required; understanding of agriculture, food processing, or other similar industry is important.
• Minimum of degree level in a related field.
• A strong background (5+ years) in sustainability issues, ideally in the agribusiness sector.
• Strong computer and communication skills, especially written communication, including proven experience of ESG and sustainability reporting. To undertake company-wide reviews of existing polices to ensure adherence to local laws as well as relevant international standards, and to ensure relevant guidance is in place.
Main areas of responsibility:
• Act as a thought-partner with senior management to help devise programs, processes and partnerships which enable the company to become the most sustainable aquaculture company in the world.
• Take leadership role in ensuring VF pushes an aggressive environmental and sustainability agenda, which entails implementing existing cradle-to-grave projects, creating new ones, and ensuring environmental compliance.
• To work with the Senior Management to ensure Victory Farm’s policies, procedures and templates for identifying, managing and monitoring ESG issues are implemented across the organisation.
• To provide ESG reviews for the company, giving feedback and guidance to ensure that it meets Victory Farm’s policies and procedures.
• To manage the engagement and relationship with of external parties and investors with regard to ESG and sustainability matters.
• Focus in particular on energy/carbon, and outline and implement the path for VF to go carbon negative.
• To undertake company-wide reviews of existing polices to ensure adherence to local laws as well as relevant international standards, and to ensure relevant guidance is in place.
• To ensure all guidance documents and lessons learnt are shared through the organisation on a regular basis, with ongoing trainings.
• Work with senior management to ensure VF ESG values are being “lived” and are translated throughout the teams.
• Work closely with HR in ensuring the welfare of VF staff, keeping employee engagement strong and develop staff through trainings, etc
Job Title: ESG Manager
Location: Homa Bay
Start date: 3rd January 2022
Application Deadline: 15th December, 2021
Please send a CV and cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications.