Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
After more than a decade of laying the business’ foundations with Komaza’s Coastal operations, Komaza has recently expanded its small-scale forestry model to Central Kenya Central Kenya represents a new type of operating model for Komaza, where unlike Coastal Kenya, small scale forestry has existed for decades and farms and farmers are very different. The Central Kenya team is leading the way in developing this complementary small scale forestry business model, which will be the foundation for all future Komaza expansions to similar regions.
The Central Kenya team is concurrently defining the long term business model and strategy for Central Kenya whilst also running several pilots across the forestry value chain to accelerate learnings and enable fast and profitable growth. The longer term ambition is to build to a multi-million dollar turnover business unit and set the foundation for Komaza to scale to the rest of Kenya and then Africa.
About the Role
Central Kenya Expansion Associate will be a foundational member of the Central Kenya team. They will be involved in both operations and strategy required to build towards the longer term vision of a multi-million dollar turnover Central Kenya Business Unit that reaches as many small scale small scale tree growers as well can.
This role will be based in Naivasha, Kenya.
What You Will Do
• Iterate and improve Central Kenya forestry (i.e. planting and harvest) pilot operations (which are focussed on Nyandarua County in 2020)
• Support design, implementation and iteration of new Central Kenya operations, including those further up in the forestry value chain (i.e. Processing and Sales)
• Design and implement scalable operations, including systems, processes and trainings that enable our teams to work smarter and better
• Strategic analysis required to deliver on the vision of a scaled up and highly profitable Central Kenya, including analysing potential other geographies for expansion
What You Have
• Strong organisational, critical thinking, and communication skills with impeccable spoken and written English
• Experience in managing several, concurrent, complex projects
• Experience working in fast-paced, demanding environment of a fast-growth company
• Good leadership, teamwork and communication skills
• Passion for Komaza’s mission to empower small-holder farmers through the rapid scaling of our small-scale forestry model
Advantageous (but not essential):
• Master’s degree in a relevant field Experience in building systems, processes and/or trainings
• Experience working with farmers in rural based models
• Experience collecting and validating field data is advantageous
• Experience conducting strategic research
• A structured thinker in the way you approach problems and projects
• Able to think strategically about your work and how it interacts with the rest of the business
• A collaborative and proactive problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
• Proactive at identifying and communicating challenges and proposing solutions to successfully accomplish work
• Flexible and self-motivated to get the job done
• Self-directed and intellectually curious in the pursuit of continuous improvement
• Comfortable working in a very dynamic, sometimes unstructured, work environment
• Comfortable joining our teams to visit farms and farmers in the interest of ensuring our work is having the most impact it can
What’s in it for you?
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to help make it a reality, apply today! We offer a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.